I was diagnosed with Lyme this past June. SInce then I have been on 100mg Doxy twice daily. While I don't believe the dose is high enough to kill the Lyme, it has caused my symptoms to settle down. My worst symptom is arthritis in my knees. I have them injected every few months and that enables me to walk. Without the injections, I cannot put weight on my legs at all.
My orthopaedist wants me to see an LLMD to make sure it is Lyme I have and to get it treated. He is afraid the arthritis will continue to destroy my knees if I don't. He can't give me many more injections and I am too young for knee replacement. I will be wheelchair bound.
My MD wants me to see a Rhuematologist to rule out other arthritic conditions. The rheumatologist told me over the phone he will not discuss or treat lyme. The ortho thought it best to rule the lyme out first then. What I don't need is meds to cover the arthritis if the desease that is causing it is still there.
Here is my dilema... I am feeling ok right now. I am functional. I work full time. I am afraid that if my treatment is changed, I will get worse before getting better.
I am scheduled to see an llmd on Tue(Dr. H in redwood city). I am afraid to take the chance of feeling so lousy that I can't go to work or take care of my children.
How does one make such a decision?