Should we give our infant a preventative course of antibiotics without a definite diagnosis?

Should we give our baby a preventative course of antibiotics?
Yes, definitely - 0.0%
No, you should wait for a solid diagnosis - 33.3%
No, you should not proceed without talking to a Lyme specialist. - 66.7%

New Topic Post Reply Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> ]

New Member

Date Joined Jan 2010
Total Posts : 4
   Posted 1/30/2010 2:45 AM (GMT -7)   
Hi everyone,

My wife was bitten by a tick last summer, in her early second trimester of pregnancy. She got sick at the time, but thought it was just morning sickness.

Now, we have had our beautiful little girl, and she is nine weeks old. Just last week, my wife's knees really started hurting, she started feeling tired, and a rash appeared on her rear. An ELISA test was positive for Lyme.

So, we are probably going to do the full course of antibiotics, as well as some alternative treatments as well (herbs, mega-dose of C, silver, etc.)

Here's the question we have:

We are worried that my wife may have passed the Lyme to our baby. Our baby was small at birth, at is slightly jaundiced. However, we are unsure about the efficacy of the testing methods, especially because she has no symptoms.

Should we push for a preventative regiment of anti-biotics to give to her, even without a positive diagnosis? Do you think that the chance of preventing significant harm later outweighs the risks of giving such a small baby (11 lbs) such strong drugs?

Thank you very much for taking the time to read this, and I thank you in advance for any advice you might have.

Sasha Shepherd

P.S. One side note is that we live in Korea, where Lyme disease doesn't exist and most doctors don't speak English. So an additional factor is that we don't have good access to a Lyme specialist.

Forum Moderator

Date Joined May 2007
Total Posts : 35990
   Posted 1/30/2010 8:43 AM (GMT -7)   
HI Buddahflow!
Welcome to HW's Lyme forum!!! I am sooo sorry that you & your family have a need to be on this forum, but this is a great site to get a whole lot of basic info, support, & compassion!!!

The questions you are asking are difficult ones to answer at best - and my heart goes out to you & your wife!
As far as your little girl is concerned there is are health risks if you use strong abx on one so young. I had to do this with my son, although that was many years ago now. Each parent must evaluate the risks for themselves & for each child.

With that being said - does your daughter show any symptoms? That's how I would base my decision. I feel that there is enough evidence showing that Lyme & other co's likely will likely pass from mother to child, to warrant a watchful eye on your daughter, even more so because of her being small. Also, is there a pediatrician or other doc that will treat your daughter with those kinds & strengths of abx?

With your wife, what kind of treatment has she or is she doing? How is she doing on treatment?? And, what about you?? any symptoms?? It is being heavily suggested that Lyme can be passed from one spouse to the other, as well.

So sorry for all the questions without any answers, but as I said, these are difficult questions at best.

It's been said:LD patients can be as ill as people w/ congest. heart failure & in as much pain as post-op patients.

Veteran Member

Date Joined Mar 2009
Total Posts : 4717
   Posted 1/30/2010 3:36 PM (GMT -7)   
A LLMD would be best at answering those questions. That is a very delicate question. If it were me, I would wait and see if your daughter has symptoms. Like Traveler said, there are risks with using high doses of antibiotics, especially on an infant. That's just my opinion though. A doctor would be best at answering this for you.

Btw, I'm so sorry you even have to make a decision like that.
**You never know how STRONG you are....until being STRONG is the ONLY choice you have**

Co-Moderator Lyme Disease Forum

Veteran Member

Date Joined Apr 2004
Total Posts : 1539
   Posted 1/30/2010 4:32 PM (GMT -7)   
Never take antibiotics or give to a young child without a diagnoses first........

Veteran Member

Date Joined Dec 2005
Total Posts : 1336
   Posted 1/30/2010 7:38 PM (GMT -7)   
I had chronic lyme when I got pregnant with my daughter. She is 23 months now and in perfect health. I had her tested when she was born and again at 1 year with a western blot just to be safe. From my lyme specialist, and high risk pregnancy ob/gyn, the risk they told me of passing lyme was small. Yes, it can be passed from mother to fetus, but the risk they told me anyway, was low.
I wouldn't stress over it too much. Watch your baby and look for signs and it is always good to test to give you peace of mind, but no, I wouldn't give (and can't imagine any dr doing so) an infant antiotics without cause for them.
I don't worry at all anymore that my daughter could possibly have lyme. If I ever see any signs, I will jump on it, but she is a perfectly happy, healthy litlte girl and she too was jaundice at birth. That is very common and not lyme related.
I was diagnosed in 1998 by the way and my daughter was born in 2008.

New Member

Date Joined Jan 2010
Total Posts : 4
   Posted 1/30/2010 9:59 PM (GMT -7)   
Hey, thank you very much everyone for your kind words and for answering.

A couple things I forgot to mention:

1) My wife has not taken ANY treatment. We just figured out she had Lyme a couple days ago. So she never took any treatment during her pregnancy.

2) We're in Korea, where Lyme disease is not common. Finding a LLMD is just about impossible, I think we will have to ship her blood sample the the states.

New Member

Date Joined Jan 2010
Total Posts : 4
   Posted 1/30/2010 10:01 PM (GMT -7)   
Jeminij said...
I had chronic lyme when I got pregnant with my daughter. She is 23 months now and in perfect health.

I was curious about one thing. Were you taking a course of ABX while pregnant?

Veteran Member

Date Joined Feb 2008
Total Posts : 900
   Posted 1/31/2010 7:33 AM (GMT -7)   
Perhaps you could contact a LLMD in this country to consult with your doctor so you can make the most informed decisions. I would be very worried too but if it were me I think I would take a wait and see approach. In the meantime, make sure everything she eats is optimal nutrition - no sugar, no white flour, no processed food. She is so young this is probably not an issue now but in the future it would be best for her and your wife to eat healthy. That way her immune system has a good chance of protecting her. Also you might check into herbs that are safe for little babies.

Veteran Member

Date Joined Dec 2005
Total Posts : 1336
   Posted 1/31/2010 9:41 AM (GMT -7)   
I was given abx during my pregnancy, but I always wondered how much actually got into my system. I had a horribly sick pregnancy with extreme morning sickness so I couldn't keep anything down for the first 6 months (including water). I took them as much as I could, but would get sick and they would come back up (sorry).

The antibiotic they give is amoxicillin. Safe for the baby and mother.

Regular Member

Date Joined Sep 2008
Total Posts : 283
   Posted 1/31/2010 9:48 AM (GMT -7)   
Welcome to the Forum

My daughter got bit by a tick this summer. Took some doxy abx for 2 wks, later that summer she developed
urinary track infections, strep throat, viral infections. finally ahd her tested for Lyme with a western blot test
from Quest lab and came back positive. Found out a month later she was pregnant. She is now seeing an OB
specialist and he told her to take the antibiotics as if she wasnt pregnant, because it CAN be passed to the
baby thru the placenta. He also said that he will test the baby and the placenta as soon as the baby is born.

Her OB specialist was more concerned of her getting the abx in the first trimester and making sure it wouldn't
pass to the placenta.

I hope you and your wife get the proper care needed for your wife and even your baby.

Bless you and your family

Martha's Vineyard
Veteran Member

Date Joined Jul 2008
Total Posts : 1119
   Posted 2/4/2010 11:43 AM (GMT -7)   
Lyme disease is all over the world. It is taken all over the place by the 150 million birds that migrate in the USA alone. Gemany, England, Japan, everyone has a problem with this bacteria.
You have a 11 pound baby who has no symptoms. Do not give your baby any drugs. You do not medicate a baby that is fine. Ever.
Lyme can be passed from mother to child in the womb and breast feeding. My daughter was born with it. But her immune system can handle it.
Be sure to keep your baby on a healthy diet so that her immune system stays strong and she stays healthy.

Martha's Vineyard
Veteran Member

Date Joined Jul 2008
Total Posts : 1119
   Posted 2/9/2010 10:02 PM (GMT -7)   
hey harley..
You need to talk to me directly...asap.
Concerning your pregant daughter Tap on me to the left envelope.
I have some things that I need to tell you about.
Our family all got lyme in 2004. It has been a long battle. But all is well now with my children. Feb 8 TH of 2009 is when I left Envita. And I am celebrating a year of perfect health.

New Topic Post Reply Printable Version
Forum Information
Currently it is Thursday, January 18, 2018 5:18 AM (GMT -7)
There are a total of 2,918,351 posts in 320,222 threads.
View Active Threads

Who's Online
This forum has 159299 registered members. Please welcome our newest member, Mieke.
302 Guest(s), 8 Registered Member(s) are currently online.  Details
Mieke, spouse21, 142, Sherrine, Eiren, ToddOhio, terino, Stewvlle12