Posted 9/29/2012 8:40 PM (GMT -7)
Brainfogged: I will be anxious to see what others say, but I believe I would recommend following your PCP's orders. I am no Dr or professional, but might round about suggest you consider upping that doxy some while you wait for the LLMD. If you do have co-infections, I believe it may be possible to begin easing yourself into treatment which could possibly ease bigger herxes yet to come.
I cannot think of any reason this would mess up your co-infection tests. Do you think it would be possible to call your upcoming LLMD's office and tell them about your script and ask what they think about any interferance w/up coming co-infection tests?
They say that Lyme cannot get better while we have co-infections. However, I still believe that it is the Lyme that causes the co's to become chronic, because occurring w/o Lyme, they GENERALLY do not become chronic, to my knowledge.
At the very least, doxy treats RMSF and that is one mean one. You could probably use that doxy at least til mid-Nov, at least as a preventative. I don't think your dose is quite high enough, tho.
Again, I hope that others will contribute here -- I used to research this stuff day in and day out and it has been quite awhile since I have actively researched. I just don't think I would pass up the Doxy opportunity while waiting for the LLMD, esp since prescribed by a Dr after a positive IGENEX test.
And again, I think it would be fair and wise to call your new LLMD and tell him what has occurred and been prescribed. Surely he/she or someone in that office could at least advise you in the meantime. Afterall, you are now officially a patient, just not seen yet.