Hi all. First time poster here. Thanks in advance for your time. I'll start with what all led up to this point:
I am very active and have never had many health problems besides some anxiety in high school and college. I am a 27 year old male. I was training hard for a triathlon in February 2016 and hurt my knee after running too much. I thought it was just tendonitis, but it wouldn't go away. Soon it transferred into my right elbow, then both knees, both elbows, the fingers, and the big toes. Nearly every joint pops very often. This never happened before. It feels like an inflammation of the tendons to me.
I saw my PCP in March and was concerned with STDs because I started dating a new girlfriend in January 2016. We tested for everything: Rheumatoid Arthritis, Lupus, Muscle Damage (Creatine kinase total activity), STDs (HIV, Gonorrhea, Syphilis, Chlamydia, Hepatitis C), Parvo Virus, Gout, Mono, Strep, Uric Acid, and standard blood tests. All values came back normal and negative.
In April a staph infection appeared on my right calf. Staph Coag. Negative. I was prescribed Bactrim and had horrible reactions(Fevers, chills). I kept taking it for a week until I broke out in hives, then I switched to Doxycycline. The Doxy gave me terrible chest pain, palpitations and a racing heart after 10 days of use. I stopped it after 15 days of taking it. The infection was gone, and I felt like my joint pain was improved on the antibiotics. It seems to be slightly worse now.
Amidst all this I saw a rheumatoligst who suspected reactive arthritis and tested for HLA-B27. This is a common gene in people with reactive arthritis. I was negative. This leads me to believe it could be something else. Especially with the strange staph infection. I have never had a staph infection before.
In April I revisited my PCP and tested for Lyme (Lyme Disease Serology). It was negative. I moved into a new apartment in September 2015, so I suspected this could be related. I know there is a water leak from my bathroom wall down to the kitchen. It smells a little funny, so I suspect mold. Last week I moved out of my apartment and back into my parents house temporarily. Another reason I suspect mold is the coag. negative staph infection. I know mold poisoning can produce this type of staph, but it is typically deep in your sinuses (Recently I have had a constantly mucusy throat). Does anyone know if this staph could have transferred from my sinus to my leg? It sounds reasonable. I am planning on running a few blood tests for mold.
Reasons why I am reconsidering Lyme:
-After stopping the antibiotics I get light headed and weak very easily.
-My right eye twitched uncontrollably for months until I got on the antibiotics. Now it has stopped twitching.
-The joint pain got slightly worse again after stopping antibiotics.
-Sensitivity to alcohol after stopping the antibiotics
I know mold poisoning and lyme have very similar symptoms, so I could use all the help I could get. Thank you very much!
Post Edited (Sheeks175) : 5/19/2016 5:28:27 PM (GMT-6)