Having Surgey while treating for Lyme

New Topic Post Reply Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> ]

Mark FW
Regular Member


Date Joined Dec 2017
Total Posts : 131
   Posted 1/19/2018 12:18 PM (GMT -6)   
So in all my doc visits a good ENT discovered I have a Cholesteatoma in my inner ear.

It's not considered urgent but surgery removing it and rebuilding my eardrum is the only treatment option.

I will get put under with a general anesthesia but it's a same day outpatient release and a 1 week recovery.

I'm about 4 weeks into abx lyme treament and have noticed a decrease in symptoms. (After my recent herx hell week)

I hesitate to delay it much more since the sooner the better on removing this growth on hearing loss.

Plus the Lyme seems to pick on this area the most. ENT was sure that all my ear symtoms are not coming from the Cholesteatoma alone which is why I postponed the surgery in the first place.

So my dilemma is.

1. Put my body under the duress of surgery but remove a abnormal growth & irritant ASAP.

2. Try to recover more from Lyme but a low risk of it getting worse.

As I'm writing this I'm thinking more Option 1.

Mark

Kat1000
Veteran Member


Date Joined Feb 2017
Total Posts : 670
   Posted 1/19/2018 12:22 PM (GMT -6)   
I'm definitely not an expert on this subject, but I would have the surgery. Ask your LLMD if you should halt whatever antibiox/herbs you are on for a period of time before and after the surgery, and then start back on. You may have to ramp up again depending how long you are off.

Lyme does tend to attack areas where you're hurting or have been hurt, so you may still feel something there afterwards but hopefully not as intense.
pos for MTHTR single mutation; Positive Igenix IgG Jan 2017
March/Apr '17: doxy, Tinizadole. 5/1 samento and swap mino for doxy. 5/28- switch mino back to doxy, added activated charcoal. 6/9 - stopped antibiox; staying with samento, red root and houttiya and supps. tried LDN; 8/24 rifampin, samento, red root and supps 1/1 30 days rifampin and burner's protocol to beat bart; borreala gone?

Traveler
Elite Member


Date Joined May 2007
Total Posts : 36310
   Posted 1/19/2018 1:34 PM (GMT -6)   
Having lived with these infections for most of my life, I have had a few surgeries both while having active Lyme and when things seemed to be in remission (when I was much younger). I've had to have my appendix, gall bladder and uterus removed under "urgent" or "emergency" situations as well as having to have dental implants done shortly after being reinfected (it too was a "best to not wait" situation).

What I have seen is that when Lyme and company are actively producing symptoms, I take longer to heal and have a longer period of substantial pain. So, I would say, plan for this possibility, but consider getting the surgery, since we are talking about you loosing your hearing if you wait(from what I understood of your post).

Realize that you will need to detox a lot when you get home and will possibly feel worse than expected, but that it will only take longer for you to heal. If your doctor is on board with this possibly being the case, you will do a lot better. I've had to fight for more after surgery care, and I have had it just offered to me when I explained that I seem to not deal with surgeries very well and have an extended healing time, and often need a longer period of support with pain meds (not trying to explain and get into a debate about Lyme with uneducated doctors just before the hold a knife over me!)
Herb only treatment for Lyme & Bart ended 12/11 - no active symptoms for 2 yrs -Herb only treatment for Babesia ended 12/12
www.healingwell.com/community/default.aspx?f=30&m=2977364
Had Lyme, Bart, Babs, RMSF, Ehrlichia, Myco, Anaplasmosis, EBV
New set of infections 8/2014 - still treating.
Come visit me: dogwoodtraditionals.freeforums.net/

tickbite666
Veteran Member


Date Joined Mar 2014
Total Posts : 1656
   Posted 1/19/2018 1:35 PM (GMT -6)   
I have had three outpatient surgery/procedures while treating lyme.

1. Re-attach severed tendons cut by knife in little and ring finger on right hand. This was kind of required.

2. Repair umbilical hernia. Kind of optional

3. Ultrasonic blast a 7mm kidney stone. Couldn't get that done fast enough.

Many of your herbs and anti-inflammatories tend to thin the blood and should be stopped two weeks prior to surgery. When you go to pre-op just be honest and give them a complete list of your Rx and Sups so if something goes wrong during the procedure they have a change t understand the cause and counteract as needed.

insomniaaa
Regular Member


Date Joined Apr 2017
Total Posts : 172
   Posted 1/19/2018 6:15 PM (GMT -6)   
During and after surgery they should put you on some kind of antibiotic anyway such as amoxicillin for instance.
This is a routine procedure just in case one of the docs forgot to wash his hands.

PeteZa
Veteran Member


Date Joined Jul 2015
Total Posts : 9729
   Posted 1/19/2018 11:16 PM (GMT -6)   
I so agree with tickbite - many herbs and even foods we eat will mess with blood clotting.

They should give you a list, but if not, please ask them.

Good luck and you will be in my prayers for this surgery.
New Topic Post Reply Printable Version
Forum Information
Currently it is Wednesday, August 15, 2018 6:36 AM (GMT -6)
There are a total of 2,992,817 posts in 327,992 threads.
View Active Threads


Who's Online
This forum has 161206 registered members. Please welcome our newest member, Prakash33.
268 Guest(s), 7 Registered Member(s) are currently online.  Details
tickbite666, 18yearsandcounting, sierraDon, Prakash33, kat0823, Union98, Grand River Guy