Hey HealingWell! I've been a 'silent lurker' on this forum for the past few months, but as I'm in need of some advice, I decided it was time to actually post some questions/concerns I have. I've kind of hit a plateau/fork-in-the-road in terms of Lyme&co treatment :/
FWIW I'm a 22 year old male, currently on a medical leave from University to pursue Lyme treatment.
To make a very, very long story shorter, I was diagnosed this past October ('17) with CDC+ Lyme. I initially presented with pretty mild symptoms: a couple weeks of strange hives, swollen glands, and a 24-hour low-grade fever. However, about
a week into starting that good 'ol 21 days of Doxy, all my symptoms emerged and my world got rocked. These symptoms, that I'm still struggling with, are mainly: bladder problems (frequency, pressure in my bladder, problems voiding the bladder. Yes, I've tested neg. for UTIs), fluttery muscle twitches, twitching in my eyelids, loss of libido, inflamed veins and spider veins, lots of inflammation in my hands and feet, and swollen nodules around joints in my fingers and hips.
After my initial 21 days of Doxy, I bounced around with a couple of different ID (I know
) doctors. The first ID Dr. confirmed my Lyme diagnosis and extended my Doxy script
another 5 weeks. The second ID Dr., who was surprisingly Lyme literate, tested me for confections (I came back positive for mycoplasma and bartonella), and began me on a combo of Zithromax/Suprax/Rifampin. This combo. hit me HARD, and I experienced a really intense neurological herx (tons of twitching, head buzzing, panic attacks) that lasted about
three weeks. After staying on this combo for about
a month, I felt that I was having trouble tolerating both the drugs and the doctor: although this ID doctor was Lyme literate, he was ridiculously hard to reach, and would take weeks to return panicked phone calls from me about
Looking for a more compassionate Lyme-doctor, I finally found my current doctor. He is extremely Lyme-literate, but also quite holistic (trained in herbal medicine and acupuncture as well). Although he normally treats Lyme patients with combo antibiotics, he stopped my antibiotic treatment; he was intrigued by the fact that the vast, vast majority of my symptoms emerged after beginning antibiotic treatment, and was concerned about
the possibility of me having developed a Candida infection, indicated by both the prevalence of my urinary symptoms, and a nasty white coating on my tongue.
For the past five weeks, I have been following this last doctor's protocol for me: I'm taking 200mg/daily of Diflucan -- to combat Candida -- and 4.5 mg nightly of LDN, to strengthen my immune system while I'm off antibiotics. He also has me taking a hefty load of supplements, including probiotics, garlic, and olive leaf extract. I have my next appointment on April 19th, about
a month from now.
During my next appt., I'll need to decide -- along with my Dr. -- the next chapter in my treatment. I feel so conflicted!; I DEFINITELY still have symptoms, and only treated in total for a little over three months, so the logical Lymie in me says to resume antibiotic treatment with a hopefully strengthened immune system. However, despite over a month of Diflucan and a pretty-strict Candida diet, my tongue is still coated, and if my Candida is contributing more centrally to my urinary symptoms, and will be exacerbated my resuming antibiotic treatment, then that's the last thing I want!
I'm feeling INCREDIBLY frustrated with where to take my treatment. I've taken the past semester off but am 'supposed' to get back into school in the fall, and delaying treatment does not sound like a smart idea...neither does resuming antibiotics, with an apparent Candida infection that could be the possible cause of my urinary issues! I'd be very grateful for any advice, food for thought, etc, from anyone on here about
how to handle this hurdle. I really admire this forum and how helpful its been for me and so many others, thank you all so much.
PS I know another option in this whole dilemma would be continue treating Candida while beginning an herbal Lyme protocol, but my parents, who have been extremely generously supporting the costs of my Lyme journey, are overly skeptical of complex or expensive herbal protocols, and are pretty non-alternative health wise. It would take some convincing if that was the route I chose to pursue.
Post Edited (Eitan K.) : 3/18/2018 8:11:04 PM (GMT-6)