Possible Bartonella from Cat Scratch. Advice?

New Topic Post Reply Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> ]

amanda_tx1
Regular Member


Date Joined Dec 2015
Total Posts : 32
   Posted 4/2/2018 1:12 PM (GMT -6)   
Hi, everybody! It's been a while since I've been around.

My name is Amanda, and I was diagnosed with chronic Lyme almost three years ago. I've been much better; treatment included pulsing abx and a combo of Cowden and Zhang herbs. Also supplements, diet changes, etc.

Just three weeks ago, our cat scratched my right hand pretty badly. He's an outdoor cat, we let him roam around. The scratch itself healed quickly with no visual sign of infection, but around Thursday of last week I started noticing some symptoms I don't usually have when I get a flare-up:

1. Slightly swollen lymph nodes on the right side of my neck. They're a little tender to press on, but barely noticeable. It's less swollen than when you have the flu or something, but still there.

2. Chills and no fever. It's the weirdest thing. I'll feel feverish and have awful chills, but I'll take my temp and it's 98.6 or lower.

3. Body aches and pains. These are fairly common for me, but haven't had them in a while.

4. Lower back pain

5. Headaches. Again, not unusual for my long symptom list, but has not been a problem in a while.

I also got put on 10 days of Bactrim for an unrelated issue that I just finished 2 days ago. Wondering if that could have caused a herx, but not sure. I also just started taking 10mg of Lexapro daily for anxiety, but I'm not sure if that's related to the sudden onset of symptoms.

After calling my LLMD and telling him all of this, he recommended me going to my PCP and having them test for it. I have an appointment today, but wanted to weigh in with you all on whether or not this could be Bart. I previously tested negative for it, so I don't know what it's like to have it.

Also, if I test positive, is there a better chance that it'll be easier to treat since I know what I (most likely) got it from and when? I appreciate everyone's feedback. Thank you so much!! smile

WalkingbyFaith
Veteran Member


Date Joined Aug 2017
Total Posts : 2023
   Posted 4/2/2018 1:23 PM (GMT -6)   
Yes, those symptoms could be bart. I'm pretty sure the Bactrim could have caused a flare/herx of some kind as well. Short term antibiotics for other things have proven to be very troublesome for me. The troubles seem to escalate AFTER I finish taking the short term antibiotic. It's happened to me with minocycline (7 days) and augmentin (7 days). I've personally never taken bactrim.

Girlie
Forum Moderator


Date Joined May 2014
Total Posts : 33893
   Posted 4/2/2018 1:23 PM (GMT -6)   
It's possible that the cat did infect you.

But, what's also possible is that Bactrim has stirred up a chronic bart infection.

Have you not treated Bartonella during the past couple of years?

Some LLMD"s just treat all three B's. One of the most experienced LLMD (Dr. J) does just that.
He treats Borrelia, Babesia, Bart in a timely manner.
Moderator, Lyme Forum
Symp started April/2013; Buhner's Lyme May 15-July24/14; Igenex pos. July 3/14
Doxy: July 4-Aug.24/14;Zithro July26-Aug24/14; Amox + Proben. Aug. 29/14;
added biaxin Sept. 26/14
Disc. amox,added Ceftin Nov. 20th.;
Disc. biaxin added Buhner bart herbs Dec/14;Jan/15 pulsing Tinda (w/ Ceftin);
Abx/herb break Apr-July/15; July-mino; Aug. added Rif;
Nov./15 mino - to biaxi

WalkingbyFaith
Veteran Member


Date Joined Aug 2017
Total Posts : 2023
   Posted 4/2/2018 1:25 PM (GMT -6)   
Not sure what your current treatment regimen is, but you might want to take some cat's claw or other immune enhancing herbs to boost your immune system for a while and keep good records of your symptoms from here on out until you get back to where you were before. If symptoms continue to get worse or multiply, that will be a sure sign you need to take further action, IMO.

amanda_tx1
Regular Member


Date Joined Dec 2015
Total Posts : 32
   Posted 4/2/2018 1:27 PM (GMT -6)   
Hi! Thanks for the replies, guys.

I don't think we've ever specifically targeted Bartonella in my treatment, no. However, I was told that the protocol as a whole would treat Lyme & Co. Not sure if that's 100% true. I haven't been on a lot of the herbs I normally am lately cause I've been feeling better.

Oh, I forgot to mention that I had a problem with EBV for about a year after an initial mono infection. It's gotten better since I got my tonsils out and went on Acyclovir, though.

Girlie
Forum Moderator


Date Joined May 2014
Total Posts : 33893
   Posted 4/2/2018 1:36 PM (GMT -6)   
amanda_tx1 said...
Hi! Thanks for the replies, guys.

I don't think we've ever specifically targeted Bartonella in my treatment, no. However, I was told that the protocol as a whole would treat Lyme & Co. Not sure if that's 100% true. I haven't been on a lot of the herbs I normally am lately cause I've been feeling better.

Oh, I forgot to mention that I had a problem with EBV for about a year after an initial mono infection. It's gotten better since I got my tonsils out and went on Acyclovir, though.



No, a lyme protocol won't treat the coinfections. Unless Bactrim or Rifampin/Rifabutin was included (that would be bart treatment) and for Babesia, you'd need anti-malarial treatment.


But, maybe herbally you were on bart/babs treatment?
Moderator, Lyme Forum
Symp started April/2013; Buhner's Lyme May 15-July24/14; Igenex pos. July 3/14
Doxy: July 4-Aug.24/14;Zithro July26-Aug24/14; Amox + Proben. Aug. 29/14;
added biaxin Sept. 26/14
Disc. amox,added Ceftin Nov. 20th.;
Disc. biaxin added Buhner bart herbs Dec/14;Jan/15 pulsing Tinda (w/ Ceftin);
Abx/herb break Apr-July/15; July-mino; Aug. added Rif;
Nov./15 mino - to biaxi

amanda_tx1
Regular Member


Date Joined Dec 2015
Total Posts : 32
   Posted 4/2/2018 1:45 PM (GMT -6)   
Hmm, that's a good point, Girlie. I guess we'll see how the test turns out. Even if it's negative, I'm more than aware that that doesn't mean I don't have it. I may have had it all along. Who knows? I'll probably talk to my LLMD about incorporating some kind of Bart treatment (herbal or otherwise) just to be safe.

However, if this is a new infection (from the cat) is there a better chance at treating it? I'd hate to go back to feeling so poorly after feeling so much better for almost a year.

WalkingbyFaith
Veteran Member


Date Joined Aug 2017
Total Posts : 2023
   Posted 4/2/2018 2:09 PM (GMT -6)   
amanda_tx1 said...
However, if this is a new infection (from the cat) is there a better chance at treating it?


Hard to say. I know the typical responses are that you should have an easier time if treating something right away, but I honestly don't get that sense from the stories I've read on the forum and in case reports I've read. My sense is that how well folks fare with treatment is very individual and doesn't necessarily correlate with how long they waiting after infection to start treatment.

I'd try not to think too much about the unknowns, as it brings on added stress. Try to just focus on treating the obvious right now.

I wish you well. Please keep checking in and let us know how it goes.
New Topic Post Reply Printable Version
Forum Information
Currently it is Saturday, August 18, 2018 11:48 AM (GMT -6)
There are a total of 2,994,091 posts in 328,103 threads.
View Active Threads


Who's Online
This forum has 161258 registered members. Please welcome our newest member, Mavis.
255 Guest(s), 9 Registered Member(s) are currently online.  Details
scifigal2k, Artist Mark, Michael_T, Mavis, Girlie, AgentBodyLover, Jerry_Delaware, slapshot, F8