My mom and I have looked at close to 100 houses since the end of June, trying to find a safe place to live. We've been living with relatives for 2 years now because our house had mold. This year, we finally have had the opportunity and financial help from other family to enable us to move.
We looked at a nice house this morning that's only 4 years old. Looked nice and well maintained. Knockout fragrance from plugins through the whole house. Evidence of water damage around the toilet in the master bath. There was not one room in the house that I didn't feel reactive in. This is what I see in 95% or more of the houses we've seen.
They even had a large air purifier in the living room. It must not work, because the air quality was awful. They only had carpet in the bedrooms, too, so it wasn't like there was gross carpet everywhere.
I feel so hopeless right now. Some people think fragrance is no big deal, like it will just magically vanish if you remove the plugins and candles, etc. That's not true. Fragrance is absorbed into materials and surfaces just like smoke and mold toxins. I don't know if it can even be adequately removed from walls, ceilings, floors, cabinets, etc.
It's not just the fragrance. I'm sure that house had mold, too. ERMI tests are $300 a pop. I don't feel like wasting another $300 on another house that I'm fairly sure has mold. Even if it didn't, the fragrance makes me feel so ill, I couldn't stand to be in there long enough to clean it and work on it. Oh, yeah, and I have muscle fatigue and exercise intolerance, too, so how could I possibly repeatedly wipe down all the walls and surfaces in a room, much less a whole house. Hire it done? With what - money? I don't have enough of that either.
To make things even worse, the relatives I live with have apparently returned to using their favorite fragrance for the last week and a half, which nearly sent me into a homicidal rage this morning before I even got a chance to look at that stupid house. And yeah, they know their fragrance causes severe pain and homicidal rages for me.
I just really needed to vent my pain and despair to people who might actually comprehend.
If anyone out there with MCS and mold has dealt with housing issues and knows for sure that there's a way to remove fragrance like that (assuming there's not also mold in the house), please let me know your personal successes.
Post Edited (WalkingbyFaith) : 10/25/2018 12:02:02 PM (GMT-6)