hi to clarify the symptom didn't recently pop up-- I have had it for years and years. It is just the extreme severity has increased in the last month, but I had had air hunger for months prior and always have a low level sense of it- but now it is full force.
You said in previous post:
"this time I got it at the tail end of a random inner ear virus I had for three weeks out of the blue, so maybe my system was down."
Same here. I had mild air hunger that occurred randomly starting around age 6. I would stop what I was doing and have to yawn and concentrate on trying to get a satisfying breath. Was checked then for allergies and asthma, which were negative.
Like you, I've always had the feeling that I don't breathe quite right. At times, it is quite noticeable and feels like my inhaling and exhaling are out of sync and I have to think about
breathing. That's not normal. That's ANS dysfunction. (Sorry, I have no explanation of the mechanism.)
In 2015 at age 45 (six years after onset of Lyme symptoms), I got sick with a respiratory virus and bronchitis. It set off a chain reaction that resulted in severe inflammation - first my sinuses, then my left ear, then my entire chest cavity into upper arms and back. That's when I had constant air hunger, tightness in my chest, tightness in a band across my ribs under the breast area that was so bad I couldn't stand up straight, pleuritic type chest pain, and stiffness in the chest wall that felt like my chest wouldn't move when my lungs were trying to expand.
I am not convinced this was from babesia, although it could have been. Interestingly, Buhner lists most of these in his bartonella book as respiratory symptoms of bartonella. They are not listed as symptoms in his babesia book.
I later tested positive for chlamydia and mycoplasma pneumonia. I already had myco prior to this but suspect that bronchitis illness may be when I contracted the chlamydia pneumonia, as I was both IGG and IGM positive for that one.
I'm telling you all this so you will be aware that babesia may not be the only infection that causes air hunger.
As for how long it lasted and what stopped it - 4 months duration of the worst air hunger and 1 month of double dose steroid inhalers (which I don't recommend) got rid of it about
90%. The other 10% slowly dissipated after removal from mold exposure, detoxing, and Buhner's bartonella protocol plus more herbs for Lyme, babesia, the pneumonias, and immune and cytokine modulating herbs.
As to how long herxes and flares can last - for me they can last weeks to months.
If you're going to do herbs, I highly recommend you get Buhner's books - especially Healing Lyme 2nd edition. It has the most information overall. I have all of his books - Lyme, Bartonella, Babesia, Herbal Abx, Herbal Antivirals. They are worth getting. I'm sure if you're up to reading them you'll probably find an explanation about