Posted 6/21/2019 7:06 AM (GMT -6)
Yep, totally have the spotting between menstruation and ovulation, as well as cramping and pain throughout the whole cycle, and cysts and heavy bleeding and all kind of garbage. The spotting started around the time I got really sick. I have a Lyme-literate functional medicine gynecologist who ordered a 33-day hormone panel and diagnosed me with HPA axis dysfunction. It's common with Lyme to have horrible reproductive system symptoms, but of course there's not much research about that. She believes that our systems are more sensitive to any changes in hormones, so we will have a lot of cyclical symptoms and seemingly extreme reactions. Like for me, sometimes I'll have a bout of intestinal issues around ovulation because the inflammation and surge in progesterone relax the smooth muscle tissue of the gut and cause GI issues. Her treatment suggestions for me were fairly straightforward:
1. Stress reduction, meditation, yoga, mindfulness, breathing, mind-body work.
2. Appropriate nutrients to make hormones (selenium, omega 3s, etc.) and/or seed cycling.
3. The usual - eat well, sleep well, move your body, chill.
4. Adaptogens - ashwagandha, eleuthero, passion flower, holy basil, etc. (whichever ones feel best to you).
5. Vitex (a.k.a. chaste tree).
6. IF the above don't work, then consider a glandular supplement and/or bioidentical, custom-compounded hormones, applied transdermally. Do not add hormones to your system unless you have a clear picture (from multiple tests at different points in your cycle) of ALL hormones (thyroid, adrenal, reproductive, precursors, etc.) so that you don't make imbalances worse.
This stuff is so hard, especially because you know to expect it again in a few weeks! And because the medical community systematically invalidates issues related to women's health. So when combined with Lyme, it's a double-whammy of medical neglect....
Lyme, bartonella, babesia, mycoplasma, EBV
Mold, MCAS, POTS, CFS/ME, HPA axis
Herbs, AmpCoil, DNRS, diet, nutrients, EOs