I'm having to search far and wide to get some help with my chronic migraines and other pain issues. I have finally procured an appointment with a migraine specialist at DUKE University Medical Center. Unfortunately, I have to wait 3 1/2 months for the appointment. I would greatly appreciate any information available from anyone having experience at Duke in the meantime.
Frankly, the state of Virginia is rapidly becoming a police state when it come to pain management. Doctors won't even treat me as a whole person. Heck, my PCP doesn't want to be responsible for my pain issues. The "Pain Management" clinics I've been to at major facilities in the state only want to treat "parts", and doctors that will prescribe opiates are disappearing faster than the price of gas is going up. I can't take NSAIDS due to a reoccurring GI bleed, so I'm kind of stuck. To give you an example, I have a whole series of major problems with my back. My latest PM specialist doesn't want me to take any pain medication at all. He basically says I just need to exercise more and lose some weight. HELLOOOOO!!!! Not very easy to do when you can barely walk when you get out of bed in the morning. My daily pain level is about a 6/7 out of 10. My migraines are 8/9+ on the scale. The pain medication I get is 30-5/325 LORTABs every two weeks from my PCP. I have a moderate tolerance to narcotics, so this low dosage of LORTAB is about as effective as if I were eating chalk, and my doctors don't even want to me to be taking that dinky amount. I do have a migraine abortive that is also a narcotic nasal spray, but it barely lasts a week, and I can only get it filled once a month. AAAARRRRRGGGGGHHHHH!!!!
Any input would be appreciated.
- On Disability for: Chronic Migraines, serious Back and Knee problems (will need surgery eventually), moderate Depression, Anxiety/Panic disorder, TMJ
- Divorced, 43, no children
- Surgeries: Gastric Bypass, Gallbladder Removed (followed by a week in the hospital for a Blood Clot), Impacted Kidney Stone Removed, Broken Ankle, Major Dental work(four molars pulled, multiple cavities, root canals)
- Current Meds: Prozac, Klonopin, Atenelol, Stadol Nasal Spray, Lortab, Trazadone, Buspar, Nexium, Tramadol, Phenergan, PROHIBITED FROM ALL NSAIDS
- Current Problem: Internal Bleeding, possible ulcer in location of Gastric Bypass
"The weather is here, I wish you were beautiful."
- Jimmy Buffett