Personally, I am the queen of getting all the bad side effects that come with a medication. Topamax was the worst, but others, like Depacote was almost as horrible. I gained about 80lbs(post-gastric bypass!!!), got a weird eating disorder...would only eat one food for weeks, then switch to another. Constant dry mouth, which rotted all my teeth in less than a year...you name it. Weight Watchers is for people that have normal issues with over-eating or eating the wrong things. Any doctor that would tell you "to just go to Weight Watchers" for weight gain from a medication side-effect is one lousy doctor. I'd dump him pronto.
There are probably 20-30 effective migraine preventatives/abortives being used these days. After 35 years of migraines, since I was eight, the only thing that works for me these days is Stadol Nasal Spray, a narcotic. I'm also taking Atenelol as a "preventative", but more to shut up doctors who are "phobic" about giving opioid medications to relieve migraine pain. I average about 1-2 bad migraines a week, so I'm constantly seeing new doctors that I have to explain my history to, just so they will follow my PCP's standing emergency treatment order. I ran into a new doctor about a month ago who refused to honor my treatment order. She stated that she only used imitrex and reglan for migraines. Imitrex makes me violently ill, and makes my migraine worse, so there's no way in heck that I'm going to accept that treatment. Patients are not the same, thus, treating all migraines the same way makes no sense. This doctor was "take it or leave it", so after being in the ER for almost six hours, I had to walk away without any help. Not a position I'd wish on anybody.
Luckily, I'm going to see a new migraine specialist in October. Apparently, it takes four months to get a new patient referrral. Got through a bad day today with my abortive, which makes me sleep. Thus, I've been up all night making up for lost time. I hope you all can find something that works for you, without the bad side effects.
- On Disability for: Chronic Migraines, serious Back and Knee problems (will need surgery eventually), moderate Depression, Anxiety/Panic disorder, TMJ, stomach problems
- Divorced, 43, spawn-free
- Surgeries: Gastric Bypass, Gallbladder Removed (followed by a week in the hospital for a Blood Clot), Impacted Kidney Stone Removed, Broken Ankle, Major Dental work(ten molars pulled, multiple cavities, root canals)
- Current Meds: Prozac, Klonopin, Atenelol, Stadol Nasal Spray, Lortab/Percocet, Trazadone, Buspar, Protonix, Tramadol, Visteryl, Carafate Suspension, Co-Q10, B2(Riboflavin), Remifemin(Black Cohosh)
- PROHIBITED FROM ALL NSAIDS
- Current Problem: Mysterious Internal GI Bleeding, possible ulcer in location of Gastric Bypass