My first post here, hopefully this wonderful & helpful community will be able to shed a little insight...
Firstly, here's an overview of my symptoms and timeline:
- about 20 days ago, I woke at 4am with an intense headache in my left temple. I took 2 x paracetamol but I was in too much pain to go back to sleep for over an hour.
- The entire next day, I had a dull ache in the same place (not *quite* enough to warrant more painkillers)
- Nothing for 10 days.
- 10 days ago, I was woken by the exact same intense pain in the same specific place at 9am - took 2 x paracetamol and got relief (to some extent) about an hour later. Dull ache the entire next day.
- 9 days ago, I work at 4am by the exact same intense pain in the same specific place at 9am - took 2 x paracetamol and got relief (to some extent) about an hour later.
- Dull ache every day for the past 10 days.
- Last night I woke at 2.30am with the most intense pain yet, I took 2 x paracetamol and 1 x ibuprofen but they did nothing and I was awake sighing with the pain for 2 hours before I passed out basically due to exhaustion.
A few notable points:
- A couple of the intense 'attacks' have been severe enough for me to contemplate an A&E visit but I don't want to get there and have had the symptoms subsided already and I also don't want to be a hypochondriac.
- When I wake up with the intense headaches, I cannot have any pressure on my head or it hurts a lot more, so I can't rest my head on my pillow / wall etc, I have to sit upright and just kinda suffer.
- I experience no nausea, no sensitivity to noise or light, I have exercised whilst having the dull ache and experienced no difference.
- I'm in my mid 20's, I don't smoke, I drink rarely and lightly, I eat well, sleep well, am hydrated and exercise.
- I visited my GP last wednesday who took note of my symptoms and said he thinks it's nothing serious e.g. tumour/aneurysm and that it's probably muscular and he recommended I take paracetamol/ibuprofen. He was kinda dismissive which relieved me a little at the time but having had another weeks worth of continual symptoms, I'm now feeling a little under-cared for.
- I have been stressed with work & life lately and am on average, a little depressive with my moods.
- I just had my first ever massage this evening as an attempt to help relieve things. The masseuse said that she could feel a lot of tension in me and in my neck muscles. It felt great during and afterwards and temporarily relieved the dull ache but now, 3 hours on, I can feel it again and I'm worried about tonights sleep and about my condition in general.
I know it's a broad term but I wonder if I've got Episodic Tension-Type Headaches. I also wonder why I've never had them before and - I guess the big one - I wonder how I can get them out of my life!
Does anybody have any tips, additional help with diagnosis etc? I feel like this is the place, if any, that I might get some good suggestions...