What kind of doctor should I see for chronic headache?

New Topic Post Reply Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> ]

Veteran Member

Date Joined Oct 2009
Total Posts : 5029
   Posted 6/3/2013 4:51 PM (GMT -6)   
I've posted before about my chronic headache for 4 years. I've seen ENT, Neurologist, and Allergist, pain doctor, all without relief. I don't know where to turn next. Should I just ask my pain management doctor again?

4 years ago I was in a bad wreck. I ignored the broken nose for a year while getting more critical injuries repaired (some continuing). I went to an ENT for chronic sinus infections. Over the next 3 years I have been on various antibiotics, had sinus surgery - he didn't fix the deviated septum. I have tried all sorts of antihistamine and steroid sinus washes and sprays. I rinse with saline at least once daily. I have allergies but get allergy shots. Some antihistamine nasal sprays seem to help a very little.

The headache, and tenderness is mostly in the front above my eye, where I had a cut from the airbag hitting my face. Sometimes it starts at the back of my neck and runs over to my forehead. I have some neck problems, including a big bone spur. My nose hurts when I wear sun or reading glasses.

The neurologist sent me back to the ENT for a bad sinus infection the first time I saw him (after brain MRI). The second time I had a head CT from the ENT which showed thickening of sinus, but not where the headache is, and the neurologist said there was nothing he could do for me.

The pain doctor tried an injection near the supraorbital nerve, but I couldn't tell if it did anything because at the 2-week followup I still had a painful bruise. He had said he could do an ablation. but since the shot didn't give relief that's out.

This morning it was about an 8. I didn't want to get up. My normal thing is doing the sinus wash while waiting for the tramadol to kick in, then reclining on the couch with my coffee for an hour.

I'm at a loss for what to do next. The pain never completely goes away.

Forum Moderator

Date Joined Dec 2008
Total Posts : 16732
   Posted 6/4/2013 9:20 AM (GMT -6)   
Did you see a headache specialist? There are neurologists that specifically focus on headaches :) I Hope you can find some answers.
Co-moderator: Ulcerative Colitis
Diagnosed with Pancolitis, Laryngopharyngeal Reflux & Migraines. Battling Extreme Exhaustion.
Currently: 6mp (25mg) + Lialda (2400mg) + Canasa (1g PM)

Veteran Member

Date Joined Oct 2009
Total Posts : 5029
   Posted 6/10/2013 10:39 AM (GMT -6)   
Thanks for the suggestion. I'm looking into a university clinic since there seem to be few neurologists who do anything but pass out meds, which I've already tried with no success.

Veteran Member

Date Joined Oct 2009
Total Posts : 5029
   Posted 6/26/2013 8:22 AM (GMT -6)   
The anesthesiologist gave me one injection at the supraorbital nerve. I was having so much other pain at the time I couldn't tell if it did much. I am to get another injection in a few weeks when I get over some root canal complications. If that works he says he can do an ablation.

I'm not complaining about the other headache that comes up over my head from my neck - yet. It doesn't happen every day, whereas the place where I was injured in the wreck hurts 24/7.

New Member

Date Joined Dec 2013
Total Posts : 1
   Posted 12/3/2013 9:43 AM (GMT -6)   
It is a grey area I really don't know which specialist is the best, but I have found one site that has all doctors in one place and description, so maybe you can find one here? I don't know if it will work, I hope it will.

Anyway, the site is this one: http://www.doctorstypes.com/
New Topic Post Reply Printable Version
Forum Information
Currently it is Sunday, September 23, 2018 3:31 PM (GMT -6)
There are a total of 3,005,891 posts in 329,278 threads.
View Active Threads

Who's Online
This forum has 161809 registered members. Please welcome our newest member, DragonM.
282 Guest(s), 6 Registered Member(s) are currently online.  Details
DBwithUC, Deep_sleep, imagardener2, Kent M., sebreg, nursekatb