I am a 42 yo female. I've been suffering from migraines on and off since 4 years old. I currently see a Headache Specialist at a local Headache Center. I recently had to go in for IV treatment, which was unsuccessful. As a result, they booked me for an upcoming inpatient stay. I was told I would be there for at least 3 days. I have some concerns (along with anxiety issues).
I had a lot of problems with the IV medications I was given. They said I have a lot of "sensitivities" to medications. Among the issues, I cannot have Compazine or Reglan. I have diabetes, so they don't like to give me steroids as they raise my blood sugar. I had a previous issue with Toradol (made my eyes swell). Had it at a later date after and unrelated surgery and seemed to be OK, but because of the past issue, they wouldn't give me Toradol at the infusion unit. I had problems with higher doses of DHE (much like I do with Imitrex). At .25 it made the back of my head burn, but when they increased it to .5, it made my headache soooo much worse. I asked them to give me a nerve block because they wouldn't give me anything for the pain.
I'm kind of freaking out about the upcoming inpatient stay for a variety of reasons, some of which I'm sure are ridiculous. Any answers/recent experiences would be greatly appreciated!!!
- Concerned about the picc line. Never had one - how does this go? Does it hurt? Do they numb you? Do they actually thread a line all the way to your heart???
- Concerned about the medications. Is there anything else they might use to treat pain? The doctor said they might be able to give me Toradol if needed in the hospital as they are better equipped to handle reactions.
- Have heard I will be able to wear "street clothes". But have also heard I'll have an IV in most of the time. Do I need to take clothes/PJs with short or sleeveless sleeves?
- Have heard because of the IV, I won't be able to shower. Is this true? I'm kind of a clean freak, so this bothers me. :/
- I have a 5 YO son and can't imagine being away from him for 3 days or more. Do they generally allow visitors? Do you think it will be OK for him to see me, or am I going to be in pretty bad shape?
Thanks for any info! As I said, I have read up on other people's experiences, but most I'm seeing are 6 or more years old. Wondering what has changed? I have a lot of anxiety about the whole thing...