Posted 9/1/2007 2:37 PM (GMT -7)
scientifically proven: 60% of chronic headache suffers are infact due to the rebound cycle. Ask any headache clinic that stops the use of narcotics, even the overuse of triptans, and they will tell you that 60% of their patients get better just by elimination of those drugs alone. Now given that, there are the other 40% that may not be so lucky. Seems like that is a group a lot of us are in. I will tell you, that when using 2 bottles of stadol a month, my migraines were out of control. I was sucked into the rebound cycle.
Now that I limit my drug use to no more than 2 pain medications, OTC or script, a week, my migraines are much much better. I also give credit to the diet change, engergy medicine, and other things i am doing. I'm not saying some people have to use pain meds, but they should not be used everyday. I once was in the same boat, using Fentanyl suckers just about everyday, and not only did they cause rebounds, but they effected my quality of life, the clearness of my mind, and left me homebound. I do not ever want to go back to that place. I wouldn't mind have a sucker ever so often for those killer migraines, but its not worth it.
Rebounds are PROVEN, are real, and no fun to be a part of.
Just wondering, but Flowerfly, what meds are you on? How often do you take them? what has helped you if anything? what is your diet like? You don't have to answer all these questions, but at least ask yourself this.
best to you,
DX-Migraines:PCOS(should have seen this list before!!)
Meds; imitrex inj, stadol ns PRN severe h/a
ProzAC 40mg, Klonopin 1mg BID , Ambien 10mg
PRN, Pherergan, Actiq 600mcg(fentanyl suckers) for migraine breakthrough pain
Doing engergy medicine!!!!
May God give you a reason to smile today, an extra reason to laugh, and bring joy to your soul.