Sick Of Migraines and Accused Of Drug Seeking

Finding A Good Doctor To Treat Migraines
0
Anyone get any luck from a pain management Doc for Migraines - 0.0%
1
Anyone ever have a neurologist willing to give narcotics for Migraines - 50.0%
0
What Do You Do When The Docs Think You Are Faking and Just Out Drug Seeking - 0.0%
0
Is it me or does a majority of ER docs have severe attitudes towards people with very real pain - 0.0%
0
Anyone know a good doc in the Myrtle Beach area who will treat your migraines with pain management - 0.0%
0
What meds do you take for migraines that work - 0.0%
0
IV Dilaudid and Phenergan from The Hospital - 0.0%
0
Imitrex or Ammerge or Frova - 0.0%
0
Triptans(Amitriptyline,Nortriptylene) - 0.0%
0
Oxycodone(Percocet),Hydrocodone(Vicodin,Loricet) - 0.0%
1
Methadone Tablets Taken 3X Daily For Preventing A Migraine - 50.0%
0
Vitamins or Herbs(GNC STUFF) - 0.0%
0
IV Dilaudid and Phenergan from The Hospital - 0.0%
0
Imitrex or Ammerge or Frova - 0.0%
0
Triptans(Amitriptyline,Nortriptylene) - 0.0%
0
Oxycodone(Percocet),Hydrocodone(Vicodin,Loricet) - 0.0%
0
Methadone Tablets Taken 3X Daily For Preventing A Migraine - 0.0%
0
Vitamins or Herbs(GNC STUFF) - 0.0%

 
New Topic Post Reply Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> ]

sickofsuffering
New Member


Date Joined Sep 2007
Total Posts : 1
   Posted 9/7/2007 10:59 PM (GMT -7)   
To Everyone,
I have been suffering with real severe migraines for about 15 years.I am 36 now and it seems like the older I get,the more intense the headaches are and they take way longer to go away!!Now here is where the problems start!I have seen pretty much every local doctor around the Surfside Beach area in SC.The first few visits were good,the docs were friendly and did their best to treat me.Time goes by and the docs start thinking either this guy is just drug seeking or his pain is real so they would send me to the neuro docs.One guy did I.V. Depakote which was terrible and he combined it with phenergan(WOW),did'nt work!The other brilliant neuro doc told me not to take any meds,not even an aspirin!!That did'nt work either.So when they got real severe I would go to the ER.The only thing that helps me is 4mg dilaudid and 25mg Phenergan,both have to be done by IV.It dosent help getting the shot in the butt!So now I'm going to the hospital a lot and they are starting to treat me different.I tell them what works and maybe 25% of the docs will listen,the other 75% give you what they think and I had a lot of bad reactions from those meds.The ER docs say that narcotics cause rebound headaches but that dont make sense to me,If the narcotics take your headache away so you can sleep and not be burdened by acute pain,then I am willing to take the chance with narcotics and get some relief than to not take anything where the pain gets so bad I just feel like I,m gonna die.

Annuk
Veteran Member


Date Joined Jan 2006
Total Posts : 1308
   Posted 9/9/2007 5:31 AM (GMT -7)   
Hi sickofsuffering,

Welcome to Healing Well. Sorry to hear you are suffering so much. The sad truth is that the narcotic meds do cause a rebound effect. It is not fully understood why, but it does happen - it has happened to me too!!!

I was desperate to rid myself of the daily incessant pain which had plagued me for years, so I took whatever meds would work - strictly following dosage and advice given by the Doc! In the end I was making my head so much worse without realising it and was quite distraught to realise I had to give these meds up!!!

With migraine as with other headache problems a good preventative is essential and the right abortive meds too, but if you have to take any narcotic based meds you should only take them for a maximum of 2 days in any one week!! This makes it very difficult to treat the pain the other 5 days of the week. The triptans such as Imitrex and Maxalt have been a better way to go and also non-steroidal anti-inflammatory's.

I have found great help from Oxygen which acts just like the Imitrex, but just in the head only!! It may be worth talking to your Doctor about this. It would have to be High-Flow Oxygen 7 - 15 litres per minute with a 100% non-rebrather mask (mask with no holes in). Used correctly this can help some sufferers, but again can rebound if not used correctly! The beauty of Oxygen is that it can be used many times per day!!

Hope you can get some relief soon,

take care

Ann

As always talk to your Neuro, preferably a Headache Specialist about this.
Co-Moderator of the Migraine/Headache Forum

New Topic Post Reply Printable Version
Forum Information
Currently it is Monday, December 18, 2017 12:34 AM (GMT -7)
There are a total of 2,906,649 posts in 318,983 threads.
View Active Threads


Who's Online
This forum has 158323 registered members. Please welcome our newest member, 11:11.
249 Guest(s), 5 Registered Member(s) are currently online.  Details
rabiya, astroman, Eiren, testuser1234, Rtp85