need advice Tysabri?

New Topic Post Reply Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> ]

New Member

Date Joined Jan 2009
Total Posts : 2
   Posted 1/26/2009 11:34 PM (GMT -6)   
hi I am new and have MS, dignoised in 98'.
I have done avonex, steroid Ivs, Chemo, ( which done very well for me, but took all the treatments one can take and had to stop.) Then I have tried Copaxine, and had a side affect of very low blood pressure. which took months to get back to my norm.
In the meantime I been experiencing new symptoms, and the other symptons are starting to come back and have worsened sionce my Chemo.
Now my nurgologist is wanting me to take the Tysabri or Relib I dont know much about either with the exception of the possible PML you can get by takung the Tysabri. 
My question is; which one should I try 1st?  As my Immune system is next to none. A commonon cold takes me 6 months to get over it and I am scared to death that I may not be a very good candiate for the Tysabri.  Any avice would be greatly appreciated.

Regular Member

Date Joined Dec 2008
Total Posts : 196
   Posted 1/27/2009 1:33 PM (GMT -6)   
It really is a personal choice. I am not real familiar with Rebif but I was on Tysabri last year until my Neuro took me off of it in September after my 5th treatment. I think the odds of someone getting the PML Brain disease is really pretty low as long as your system is washed out of all of the other drug treatments you have been taking. They say you should go at least 3 months after you had a treatment before going on Tysabri. The people I talked to when I was getting treatments of Tysabri were very pleased with it and they all told me that it was working for them. If you have any questions about it, I suggest you go to and email them to Lauren as she has been on Tysabri for a while and will try and answer any questions you have.
Good luck to you and God Bless you.

                                        Chuck the old man :>)
                                   AMWTP Training Instructor
                                          Idaho Falls, Idaho
                                  Diagnosed with PPMS May, 2006
                                   but still working at the present.         
                Tried just about everything there is for MS, including Tysabri
                               Waiting to start Cytoxin Treatments soon.

Regular Member

Date Joined Jan 2009
Total Posts : 38
   Posted 1/27/2009 6:56 PM (GMT -6)   
Hi Krs,

I had only one treatment of Tysabri before it was taken off the market. I felt like a super-star that month. Right now I'm on Copaxone and starting LDN...the relapses seem to be under control for now. But if I was relapsing every month like I was before, I would try Tysabri again. But like Chuck said, it's a personal opinion for sure. I'm not familiar with Rebif either, but I know I chose Copaxone to avoid feeling like I had the flu on top of MS.

Good luck and keep us updated.
Envision health and your body will follow!
Diagnosed with RR MS 11/2001
Healing more and more every day
Andrea :)

Regular Member

Date Joined Mar 2007
Total Posts : 260
   Posted 1/28/2009 7:27 PM (GMT -6)   
Hi there,
I was on Rebif for 14 months. It did not work too well for me. I kept getting flair ups. Also, i had severe body aches that i just thought was my MS but was indeed the Rebif. After i stopped it i felt so much better. I started Tysabri last March. It was a huge decision for me, and like the folks before me said, its a personal decision. With me, my neuro thinks i have this disease for 10-15 years when we look back at my sx's, so i was scared i was getting to a more progressive stage of MS. That is what made me go on Tysabri. I felt it was worth the risk for me. I have been doing really well on it. I have way more energy and walk much better. Also my MRI was stable. Thats the goal so i guess right now its worth it for me.
Good Luck
Dx MS December, 2006
Started Tysabri March, 2008
Zanaflex as needed

New Member

Date Joined Jan 2009
Total Posts : 2
   Posted 1/28/2009 10:26 PM (GMT -6)   
Thank you both so much for the comments and yes it has been a big decision change for me.LOL
I have decided to let my doctor know I will give the tysabri a try as long as my insurance will cover it. Once again thank you for a quick reply.
New Topic Post Reply Printable Version
Forum Information
Currently it is Saturday, September 22, 2018 9:47 AM (GMT -6)
There are a total of 3,005,663 posts in 329,249 threads.
View Active Threads

Who's Online
This forum has 161795 registered members. Please welcome our newest member, jjakefamily.
242 Guest(s), 4 Registered Member(s) are currently online.  Details
BillyBob@388, RunJerRun, andwes, (Seashell)