I just posted a bit ago about my history, symptoms and a bunch of questions. I just found out that my spinal fluid/blood match was normal. Hooray!!!!!!!! What should I do next? Is there some sort of protocol or can I put the idea of having MS to rest? Can I move on safely? All advice welcomed.
I reposted my earlier post below, in case you care to comment. Warning: it's long!
Hi! I'm new to this site. I've been reading page after page on this forum and decided I needed to join and post as well. I have way too many questions, and a doctor that is not responsive, to keep this all to myself any longer.
I'm a 39 y.o. female with a history of migraines. While driving to work one day (thankfully, while stuck in traffic) I felt this wave take over my body. I felt like I would black out, but didn't. I proceeded on to work until everyone started commenting on how red my whole face was---and I was developing a pretty bad headache simultaneously. I went home, then to Urgent Care and then off to the ER by their suggestion. I had a CT scan without contrast that was normal. They sent me home saying it had to do with my history of migraines and suggested I follow up with a Neuro. I did. He did an MRI and I have six (I think, I cannot get a straight answer) small (avg: 2mm) foci on my brain. For the normal person that news is devastating, for me it was life altering. I have not been able to think straight for weeks now, I have done a ton of crying and I have a seemingly heartless Doctor. In the meantime, I have been going through numerous tests: evoked potential (checkerboard on screen version) - normal; bloodwork (looking for Lupus and RA) - normal, and EEG with sleep deprivation - normal. Ten days ago I had a lumbar puncture and am awaiting those results....and freaking over it.
Here are my symptoms/conditions:
- headaches regularly since forever
- pessimist since forever (working on it though with help of therapist)
- migraines since 89
- fibromyalgia since 99 (very, very mild - barely notice it, but Dr. thinks it was brought on my car accident in 97)
- anxiety since about 99 (tried Celexa - no success and Lexapro - hated it and weened myself off)
- tingles in left hand, and sometimes right, since 99. Have very sensitive funny bone which is what I thought was the cause.
- GERD since 01 (take Protonix, but I still always feel like a cottonball is stuck in the right of my throat)
- rash took over my body for a month in 07 that was controlled with prednisone
- Multiple foci of hyperintense T2 and FLAIR signal within periventricular and subcortical white matter, nonspecific in nature, possibly representing demyelinating diease, small vessel ischemia or gliosis. No sites of pathologic contrast enhancement. Age appropriate brain vol. without evidence of masses, mass effect or midline shift. No acute intracranial hemmorage or abnormal extra-axial fluid collections.
- hands and feet always cold, more pronounced lately
- occasionally over the years get dizzy spell that lasts a second and goes away
- resting pulse avg 95. move at all on my feet and goes up to 115 ---this is since June (full cardiac workup shows nothing)
- heart palpitations for as long as I can recall, but with more frequency since June
- steady weight gain over the last year (though lost 10 lbs during lumbar puncture and torment that ensued)
- in morning, hands are full feeling and weak
- left forefinger trembled for about 1 week in certain positions about 5 months ago
- get occassional tingly/bug feeling in small patch in middle left of back - only happened a handful of times over time
- find myself staring at things since 95, but it is getting more pronounced
- funny feeling/dizzy when I get off elevators (even short rides) for forever
- for two months I had to nap every night after work, even with 8 hours sleep. Still, I wake up exhausted, even with 8 hrs.
- felt like bugs were running around on my scalp in small area intermittently for a few days while waiting for blood results
- had lumbar puncture on 30 April and got the headache that lasted 6 days, on 3rd day I developed a low grade fever (99-99.9) that I've had ever since (my normal temp always seems to be 97.4).
- had this foggy sort of unplugged feeling in between going in for other exams--lasted a few days. I didn't feel "right" or like myself at all, but it is really hard to define.
- pins and needles feeling in part of my left leg and foot intermittently over the course of this month or so, sometimes pronounced.
Here are my questions:
- Could some of the symptoms above be attributable to anxiety (pins/needles, bugs feeling, foggy, palps, numb tongue/face)?
- Have you ever caught yourself staring at something for a long time for no reason?
- Does this wreak of MS? Should I just resign myself to the fact that I have this?
- Can the lumbar puncture tell you definitely if you have MS or not?
- What would be a likely next step in my dx if the LP comes back normal?
- Did any of you have an MRI report like mine and get dx with MS?
I am wrought with anxiety....worse than ever, I'm considering ending a long term relationship, and my job could be ending soon too. I'm so incredibly scared. I feel alone and full of despair. Can you recommend any books or websites that could be helpful? Thanks in advance for any and all responses.
Post Edited (healthvitalitygirl71) : 5/10/2010 4:58:20 PM (GMT-6)