Hello everyone, I'm new to this forum and need your opinions. I'm not asking for a diagnosis, as I know that isn't possible. But, given the symptoms I describe... do you think I'm out of line in worrying that I might have MS? Sorry for the lengthy post, but I've tried to detail my history out for my visit to a neurologist in a few weeks... so I condensed my thoughts to tell my story. Here is my symptom history...
- 1990 – Symptoms begin while in college, left ear suddenly began to ring for no reason with sudden hearing loss at about 15%. Dizziness followed but later got better. I was told it was probably an infection that caused damage to the auditory nerve to the brainstem. CAT scan was done, but no real results obtained.
- 1994 – Weird vision problems began... I lost my central vision in my left eye temporarily (still had peripheral vision). My ophthalmologist was worried it might be macular degeneration, but over time, it cleared up and things were normal.
- 1995 – Blurry vision again, went to a optometrist and received a prescription for glasses with 20/40 vision. Eventually, my eyes got better and went back to 20/20.
- 2000 – Noticeable numbness began in arms, hands and feet... sometimes with chest pain. Went to the ER at one point only to find that maybe diabetes was suspected based on blood work, but later ruled out.
- 2000 – Began to notice frequent urination and inability to hold urine for any normal length of time, especially at night. Again, diabetes suspected at first, but ruled out with normal blood sugar test.
- 2005 (summer) – Begin noticing short term memory problems which is very unusual. Can’t remember where I just placed things several minutes ago, can’t remember the result of conversations that just took place, very frustrating and continues to this day. This is probably the most concerning symptom, but very prevalent! I'm an engineer and this kind of thing has never happened to me until now.
- 2005 (summer) – More hearing loss (with imbalance and unsteadiness) and tinnitus began to worsen badly, left ear now only has about 30% hearing with right ear hearing worsening and ringing. Saw neurotologist (ear nerve doctor) and was diagnosed with Meniere’s Disease. Was tested with ABR, ECOG, and had MRI completed for diagnosis. ABR came back abnormal, ECOG came back abnormal, then ordered to have MRI.
- 2005 (summer) – Began noticing very large “floaters” in both eyes with intermittent blurry vision. Floaters remain to this day, some days are worse than others, but very unusual as they began along with a worsening of other symptoms in summer 2005.
- 2006 – Numbness continues to gradually get worse. Feet sometimes feel like hair is wrapped in them, only to find they are clean. Tingling and numbness is very prevalent in hands and feet, it comes and goes.
- 2006 – Numbness extends for the first time in genital area obviously freaking me out. Sensitivity is now decreased and has not improved, very unusual for me.
- Decide to seek help of neurologist...
With all that said, my wife is very insistent that I pursue this beyond the Meniere's Disease diagnosis. I'm convinced to see a neuro as soon as I can locate one and be seen...
But, I'd like comments from folks who know what MS is and what it is like... does this seem like possible MS?
Thanks for your input.