New Topic Post Reply Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> ]

Regular Member

Date Joined Feb 2007
Total Posts : 161
   Posted 4/3/2007 5:04 PM (GMT -6)   
Hi all,
I've heard people on the forum mention "banding" before....just wondering if that's what I'm experiencing? 
It feels as though there's something around the top of one arm, kind of squeezing it?????? 
 I over did it the other day, and am paying the innevitable price....all of my symptoms are showing their heads....but this new one got my attention.
Would be great to hear what you think.

Forum Moderator

Date Joined Jan 2007
Total Posts : 3568
   Posted 4/3/2007 5:24 PM (GMT -6)   

Hey KAS,

I can't help you with the "banding" thing.  I just thought I'd tell you that we missed you yesterday in the chat.  It got pretty serious - heavy stuff.  Anyway, feel better real soon and let us know when you get your test results.  Good luck and hang in there.

Love and prayers,



diagnosed: MS  July 2006
Treatment: copaxone, prayer, laughter, and positive thinking

Veteran Member

Date Joined Mar 2006
Total Posts : 2146
   Posted 4/3/2007 5:24 PM (GMT -6)   
Hey Kas!

Well i'm not certain i'm thinking of the same thing, but what i recall is the MS "Hug" which may be what u'r experiencing. It'd be a good idea to note this in u'r journal and call the doc as well to have them note it in u'r records too. If this is a new symptom the doc needs to know it. I"m sure others will be along soon to correct me if i'm wrong or give more detailed info, but i do hope this all gets better for u soon. In the meantime...stop overdoing it! ;) Take good care friend!
Co-Moderator, MS Forum
*~*Sometimes the Lord calms the storm. Sometimes He lets the storm rage and calms His child.*~*

Veteran Member

Date Joined Jun 2005
Total Posts : 2135
   Posted 4/3/2007 6:59 PM (GMT -6)   
Yes, "banding" is a word used to describe the "squeezed in" feeling that can happen with any muscle group that goes around the body -- like around an arm, around your head, around your torso, around a leg -- as opposed to the muscle groups that go up and down, and the sensation is usually talked about as "spasticity". When the banding occurs around the torso, it's often called the "MS hug" -- it's pretty common, and I describe it as "your dear overweight aunt giving you a too-tight hug"...nothing will be harmed inside, but it feels like your innards are getting squished!
...I am not a doctor, nor health professional, and don't pretend to be one, here.....

Veteran Member

Date Joined Jun 2005
Total Posts : 1852
   Posted 4/3/2007 8:21 PM (GMT -6)   
Hi Kas,
    We did miss you last night!  How did you appointment go?   By your description of banding that sounds pretty accurate from what other describe.  Since its new make sure you mention it on your next visit.  You'll probably hear it more commonly referred to as the MS hug since most people get it in the torso area, but it can occur in other places like where you are getting it too. 
Co-moderator for Multiple Sclerosis
Allow Healing Well to continue to help others, clink link for details

Regular Member

Date Joined Feb 2007
Total Posts : 161
   Posted 4/4/2007 2:33 AM (GMT -6)   
Hi guys,

thanks heaps for your input!!! You've all informed, and reassured me.
My test was fine results for a few weeks, but will let you know.

Off on holiday for Easter weekend, so I'll look forward to catching up with everyone next week!

Thanks again

New Topic Post Reply Printable Version
Forum Information
Currently it is Sunday, July 22, 2018 11:48 AM (GMT -6)
There are a total of 2,984,198 posts in 327,195 threads.
View Active Threads

Who's Online
This forum has 161980 registered members. Please welcome our newest member, PSA5000.
594 Guest(s), 7 Registered Member(s) are currently online.  Details
Ides, ppm guy, Cmburks, hrpufnstuf, LLLLX, moleUC, huneri