I've been making two lists... Reasons to have surgery and reasons not to. So far the first one is much longer! I thought I would share what I've come up with.
REASONS TO HAVE SURGERY
1) No more worrying about where every toilet is when I go out
2) Being able to go out without having to run to the toilet several times
3) Being able to enjoy social gatherings without worrying about getting sick or having to use someone's toilet
4) Not having to worry whether everything I eat is going to make me sick
5) Can't have colon cancer without a colon!
6) Finally be able to feel healthy again
7) No more taking handfuls of questionable medications
8) No more living off of Immodium AD
9) Seems like pregnancy would be easier and less risky with j-pouch/colostomy than with colitis
10) No point in waiting for a cure that may never come or may come when I'm 80… What a waste of life!
11) Tired of wondering when the next flare will be, when this flare will end, what this food will do
12) Even if I don't get colon cancer I could end up with other cancers or illnesses from all the meds- especially ones like prednisone!
13) If the J-Pouch doesn't work I can always try the BCIR which is performed very close to where I live!
14) Most of the things on the after-surgery diet restriction list I don't eat anyway!
15) I feel like it would be better to have surgery when I'm young and not in a severe state of health that way I can heal better and have a smoother recovery, instead of waiting until it's medically necessary and I'm too ill to bounce back quickly.
16) Even though it's scary I think it would be a large change for the better in my quality of life, even though it's not that bad at the moment it was and probably would be again
17) NO MORE UC!
REASONS NOT TO HAVE SURGERY
1) Surgery scars and stoma… I'm already self- conscious and insecure as it is; how will these effect me mentally?
2) After J-Pouch surgery it says most go to the bathroom 6-10 times a day for awhile, which would be just like having colitis!
3) How will I be able to pay bills if I'm off work for a few weeks?
4) What if David finds me unattractive after the surgery? Even though he says he still would always love me I still worry
5) No more wearing a bikeeni, but I don't really like to anymore anyway
6) Will my clothes fit me the same, will the bag be uncomfortable?
7) What if I have the surgery and feel worse and regret it?
8) No going back, no changing your mind- HUGE life change
If you can think of anything else I should add to think about, to either list, let me know!!!