is it too late to change my mind to j pouch?

New Topic Post Reply Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> ]

Regular Member

Date Joined Dec 2007
Total Posts : 82
   Posted 2/1/2009 8:49 PM (GMT -6)   
surgery is March 2. I told surgeon that I want a permanent bag and not the j pouch. Now I'm thinking I want j pouch because I can't see buying and using those bags for rest of life (altho I'm 63 now)

is it too late to change my mind? I mean, does surgeon need time to prepare or does he need a certain operating room. I just don't know


Veteran Member

Date Joined Dec 2008
Total Posts : 511
   Posted 2/1/2009 9:00 PM (GMT -6)   
You can change your mind. Just let them know as soon as possible so they can change your orders and information in the chart. : )

Good luck!!!

: ) Robin
Dx-May 2007  Asacol-2400mg bid  Prednisone-20mg  Remicade-5 Tx
Paxil-40mg  Prilosec-bid  Multivitamin  Moderate/Severe Pancolitis
28 year old Mommy of a 1 year old and a Wife for almost 2 years!
Life has never been so sweet!  I appreciate the small things in life...the little joys that occur every second of every day.  Though we struggle and have crazy complications, nothing can over ride our love and happiness.
Surgery is scheduled for February 6th!!!  : )   Yea!!!!!!!!!!

Veteran Member

Date Joined Feb 2006
Total Posts : 5698
   Posted 2/1/2009 9:39 PM (GMT -6)   

It's not too late to change your mind and you are not too old for a jpouch.  I met a poucher who had the jpouch surgery at age 69.  She's 74 now and doing fine!


dx proctitis in 1987
dx UC in 1991, was stable until 1998

1998 started prednisone, asacol, pentasa, nortriptylene, ativan, 6MP, rowasa enemas and suppositories, hydrocortisone enemas, tried the SCD diet, being a vegetarian, omega 3s, flax, pranic healing, yoga, acupuncture, probiotics

2000 lost all my B-12 stores and became anemic

2001 opted for j-pouch surgery- now living life med-free

Veteran Member

Date Joined Feb 2007
Total Posts : 788
   Posted 2/1/2009 9:57 PM (GMT -6)   
It's not too late until after surgery!
Let them know tomorrow. They only need enough time for scheduling.
And if you tell them you may want a j-pouch, but decide later that you don't b/c you like the bag after all, you can have the rest taken out then. That's what I'm doing. I still have rectum for a pouch, but I'm not sure I want to deal with it or not. My surgeon isn't rushing me.
28 yrs. old. married with one beautiful daughter (born 11/20/07)
-diagnosed with severe pancolitis u/c 2002 had total colectomy 12/19/08; emergency surgery due to abscess-had to redo ileostomy and switch to left side 12/25/08; 1/29/08 found blood clot in superior mesenteric vein (prob. from inf. and surgery inflammation)
pred. taper, zofran, immodium, lovonox, coumadin, carafate, prenatal vit., and pain meds
(ileostomy temporary....not so sure?)

"Things turn out the best for those who make the best of the way things turn out."

Post Edited (Chasblah) : 2/1/2009 8:00:58 PM (GMT-7)

Equestrian Mom
Veteran Member

Date Joined Mar 2008
Total Posts : 3115
   Posted 2/2/2009 8:37 AM (GMT -6)   
as long as it was an option before...sometimes there are circumstances that prevent a person from having a j-pouch...they may have to do additional test, too.
New Topic Post Reply Printable Version
Forum Information
Currently it is Saturday, September 22, 2018 11:50 AM (GMT -6)
There are a total of 3,005,677 posts in 329,250 threads.
View Active Threads

Who's Online
This forum has 161796 registered members. Please welcome our newest member, Crispy Mango.
272 Guest(s), 0 Registered Member(s) are currently online.  Details