Want help with making a decision

New Topic Post Reply Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> ]

crohnielass
Veteran Member


Date Joined Mar 2009
Total Posts : 1118
   Posted 8/24/2009 3:43 AM (GMT -7)   
Hi Everyone, I recently saw my surgeon who has agreed for me to go in and have a reversal done on 3rd week in nov But i'm not sure whether to go ahead with it or wait till after christmas. I have been weighing up the pro's and cons but just can't make up my mind At the beginning of Dec my mum will be 70 the day after i will be at a really important wedding and the day after that its my birthday! would i have recovered by then?On the other hand if i wait till Jan when i would of then had the bag a year and given my self an extra month and a bit to build myself up more but im due to start training to become a socialworker in Feb. I was just wondering which option would you go for if you were in my shoes? i just need some help with making this decision. thanks so much Bev x
Diagnosed with crohn's at 13 now 42
resection, right hemi 1993 In remmision from 93 till last sept with no meds or docs
2 resections small bowel  and fistula jan 09 and given temp stoma.  reversal sheduled for Nov09 Meds:Pentasa 500mg 3x day,  B12 shots, every 3 months, iron syrup,loperimide,folic acid, Back on citalopram 40mg (for Anxiety.)


Chasblah
Veteran Member


Date Joined Feb 2007
Total Posts : 788
   Posted 8/24/2009 9:16 AM (GMT -7)   
If I were you, I would wait until I knew I would have plenty of time to recover without trying to rush anything. I still have an ostomy, so I don't know what the recovery time is like (except for other posts I've read), but I wouldn't want to plan something and assume I'd be well by that time. It took me a lot longer to recover than I thought it would. AND you have to factor in that you may have complications.
Chassity
28 yrs. old. married with one beautiful daughter (born 11/20/07)
-diagnosed with severe pancolitis u/c 2002 had total colectomy 12/19/08; emergency surgery due to abscess-had to redo ileostomy and switch to left side 12/25/08; 2/15/09 found blood clot in superior mesenteric vein (prob. from inf. and surgery inflammation)
coumadin, prenatal vit.
(temporary ileostomy....maybe)

"Things turn out the best for those who make the best of the way things turn out."


Equestrian Mom
Veteran Member


Date Joined Mar 2008
Total Posts : 3115
   Posted 8/24/2009 6:14 PM (GMT -7)   
Make sure you have at least 4-6 weeks for recovery...you will have diet restrictions and your body needs some time to adjust to using itself again. You may be lucky and be fine from the getgo but if there is an adjustment time, it's best to rest and not have social engagements you'll be stressing over.

Trigirl
Veteran Member


Date Joined Jan 2006
Total Posts : 768
   Posted 8/25/2009 10:17 AM (GMT -7)   
GIVE YOURSELF TIME. No one else will. You may miss all those parties and events, or feel really miserable at them like I have been.
New Topic Post Reply Printable Version
Forum Information
Currently it is Tuesday, December 12, 2017 1:16 PM (GMT -7)
There are a total of 2,904,475 posts in 318,758 threads.
View Active Threads


Who's Online
This forum has 158150 registered members. Please welcome our newest member, momem3.
372 Guest(s), 16 Registered Member(s) are currently online.  Details
Italatin8, PeppermintTea, Solaris719, Casa11, Smara, Wilderness, n2braves, eldonkey, spikel, Wotan, Avery, Traveler, Poppie, Emily P, JonnyD80, iPoop