My surgery date is coming up quick (Nov. 23, sigmoid colostomy) and I have a few questions for all of you amazing people who have been through this....here goes...
1. What kind of underwear should I get? I wore my same panties.
2. Does the bag go into the undies or do you wear it loose? I didn't like the feeling of the bag on my skin so I wore the bag on top of my panties.
3. Is a certain system better? ie: one piece or two piece? I like 2pc so I could take the bag off in the shower. Plus I could wear small bags during the morning while teaching cycling classes and tiny bags for romance :o)
4. Which pouch is better? Drainable or closed? I like drainable pouch with the clip. If your bag is closed, dumping the contents can get messy.
5. What the heck is a stoma cap???? I have 2 caps. One is for when I wear a 2pc. I keep the wafer on and put a tiny little bag (or cap) over my stoma for times when my hubby and I want some time to ourselves. However, once in a while, I will wear a one-pc cap that just sticks right on the skin and covers the stoma only. When my hubby and I finish our 'time' together, I would unstick the cap and place on a whole new wafer and bag.
6. How long was recovery time? I guess im just worried that I won't be up to celebrating Christmas with the family. I heal fast. Recovery time depends on your health prior to the surgery. I was back to running 3-4 miles after 5 weeks but that's just me.
7. When the bag fills, does it get heavy? Will it pull on my skin? It feels heavy even when empty at first. It feels uncomfortable. Your skin will get used to it and you will forget it is there...but that takes time.
Good luck with your surgery.
Revised Coletomy/ Reset Anastimosis 2006
Revised Colectomy/ Obstructions 2005
Sub-total Colectomy 2001
Prov. 16: 20 Whoso trusteth in the Lord, happy is he.
Zelnorm, Colace, Motilium, Citrate of Magnesium, Nexium, Amitiza, Potassium, Magnesium, Miralax, Milk of Magnesium, Corgard, Glycerin Suppositories, Sorbitol, Bentyl, Senokot