I know there are 35 or more threads on colectomies, but trying to sift thru them all to find the info I want/need is making my brain hurt. If you'll indulge me, I'm just going to give you minimal background, list my questions, and then anyone kind enough to respond either here or privately by email (email@example.com) I'm incredibly grateful.
Me, the super-abridged version: 27, single, NO FAMILY, living in NYC apt w roommates (not reliable as caregivers). CIP/colonic inertia since birth, GP since 2008, GERD, hiatal hernia, SIBO, malabsorption, (overall bad motility, now med-resistant), plus lots of other medical stuff....
*WILL BE HAVING COLECTOMY (LAPROSCOPIC)WITH ILEORECTAL ANASTAMOSIS SOMETIME AROUND JUNE 21*
ok, since i'm totally on my own i have a LOT to plan, and need to know as much as possble what to expect (also so i know how much/what kind of help i might need to ask for)
1) pre-admit/admit/day of surgery....?
2) post-op--how out of it were you? for how long?
3) how long in the hospital and why? at what piont did you come off of tpn, catheters, (able to wear real clothes), etc?
4) nutritional step-up? was it in hospital? at home? both? who directed?
5) discharge from hospital--when? how "able-bodied" were you? did you need home nurse services? how much help did you have/need at home? what were the first few days/weeks like? also, any supplies i should have on hand? (i'm not supposed to have an ostomy unless something goes wrong)
6) how long until you really felt like yourself again?
7) are there any kinds of "help" you can think of that i might need and not b thinkin of?????????
9) also, i have problems (already) with dehydration and electrolyte maintnence. has anyone had trouble with this since the surgery? how do you manage it? (i take meds and drink lots of gatorade now.....;P)
thanks in avance!!!
Post Edited (rcn96) : 5/25/2010 5:32:11 AM (GMT-6)