Upset; Need support!

New Topic Post Reply Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> ]

Regular Member

Date Joined Mar 2011
Total Posts : 272
   Posted 5/18/2011 3:40 PM (GMT -6)   
So, come to find out at work today; I was let go of my job due to financial reasons.  They told me at the worst time, right before I am just to have surgery, June 2nd, to have a total colectomy.  So, my last day is May 27th.  Yes, I am happy to be having the surgery soon b/c I have been suffereing for sooo long, the feeling of not being able to pass gas, constipation, etc.  It has taken over my life.  I just needed to vent and get support b/c I am just wondering how all my finances are going to be covered; I know I need to file for unemployment!  shakehead    Everyone, just pray for me and hope that I will have a speedy recovery after surgery, find a new job, and be a better, happier, healthier person!!!!!  I am ready b/c I know I have sure not felt good this week due to my CI, and now the bad news today!!!! 

Veteran Member

Date Joined Dec 2010
Total Posts : 3332
   Posted 5/18/2011 3:42 PM (GMT -6)   
I'm so sorry, what a blow. Hang in .... thinking of you.
48 years old, female.
2004 dx indeterminate colitis. Back and forth between Crohn's and UC dx. Many drugs, minimal success.
2010-11 Crazy skin and eye complications, high fevers, bad flaring. Out of good drug options, tired of scary drugs.
Feb 2011 -- proctocolectomy with permanent ileolostomy; abscess, blood clot. Still healing, still glad for the surgery

Veteran Member

Date Joined Apr 2009
Total Posts : 587
   Posted 5/18/2011 3:58 PM (GMT -6)   
Can you negotiate your insurance going through to the end of June? At least yuh can get unemployment while you are healing. I pray your surgery goes well, that you find a new job and that everything works out.
Diagnosed 2006. 1st step of 2 step j-pouch 1/3/11. 2nd step April 4, 2011. So done with this disease.

2b ColonFree
Veteran Member

Date Joined Nov 2008
Total Posts : 2603
   Posted 5/18/2011 5:14 PM (GMT -6)   
oh no.. so sorry to hear this Kyle :(( i also quit my job after surgery and it's been rough. i'm getting some help from social security, but it's just peanuts :( i plan on finding a job soon, but it is so hard to start all over after working at a same place for 8 years.

i know you're stressed right now and you're already worried about finding a new job, when you havn't even gone through surgery yet. but you MUST NOT rush your self too fast to find a new job, esp facing such a big surgery soon. you MUST consentrate on your health right now. is there any chance you can move in with your parents for a while..?? you need lots of help right now!!!! you need someone to support you now till you're able to stand on your feet again. i'd hate it if you go to this kind of surgery feeling so stressed.

rough times... i know, i'm going through that too unfortunately. but things WILL work out, for the both of us, we must believe.
06/05/2007 - STARR procedure
colonic inertia w/pelvic floor dysfunction
08/16/2009 - total colectomy w/ileorectal anastomosis
07/08/2010 - loop ileostomy

Regular Member

Date Joined Apr 2011
Total Posts : 463
   Posted 5/18/2011 5:24 PM (GMT -6)   

I am so very sorry you are going thru so much. It all sounds overwhelming. Try to take each issue and deal with it one at a time. Will you have insurance to cover Ur surgery? How long have you had colon problems? I can completely understand how your feeling. Do U have anyone to help U while your going thru all of this? I just had an ileostomy a week ago, best thing that has ever happened.

Pleez keep us posted, and my prayers are with you.
Loop ileostomy May 10th 2011, Bipolar 2/ Borderline, Anxiety/Panic-Attacks, Major Depression, DDA-Dual Diagnosis...Recovering Addict/Alcoholic. 9 years-clean from Meth and 8 months sober.
Just recently weaned off of Effexor XR, Prozac now in its place. Gabapentin, Zyprexa, Vistaril, Trazadone

Regular Member

Date Joined Mar 2011
Total Posts : 242
   Posted 5/18/2011 6:31 PM (GMT -6)   
I am so sorry:(
Mary 26,Chronic Constipation
Colonoscopy: Polyps,Melanosis and long redundant colon, Sitz Marker: Colonic Inertia. Defecography:Rectocele and Enterocele, Anorectal Manometry:Normal, Pudendal Nerve Study:Normal, Gastric Emptying-20% at 4 hours
5/19-Small Bowel Study-not hopeful
5/26-Surgeon Appt

Regular Member

Date Joined Nov 2010
Total Posts : 422
   Posted 5/18/2011 7:09 PM (GMT -6)   

Well, the situation sucks.....

Is there anyway you can keep your insurance by paying a couple of months yourself so at least the major surgery cost will be paid by them? Find out with your HR (don't know how big your employer is) and see if you can do that....

Otherwise, hope your surgery goes well and you recover quickly!

May God bless and comfort you in this time of trouble and challenge.


Bay Area Guy
Regular Member

Date Joined Jul 2010
Total Posts : 301
   Posted 5/18/2011 9:29 PM (GMT -6)   
I believe it's federal law that you can opt into what is called COBRA (Continuation Of Benefits) for your insurance, assuming you've been covered by insurance until now. Like so many others said, check with your Human Resources Department to see how long you can be on it and how much it costs. The good news is you can get it and, I think, since it's a continuation of coverage, you shouldn't have to worry about the insurance company denying you for pre-existing conditions. The bad news is that it isn't cheap.

Hang in there. The most important thing is to get your health back.

Another UC wife
Veteran Member

Date Joined Jun 2007
Total Posts : 2111
   Posted 5/18/2011 9:48 PM (GMT -6)   
Absolutely COBRA is an option and a RIGHT you have and one that you definitely need to have for continuation for at least a few months after the surgery.  Just in case you need any kind of additional medical care after the surgery you want the coverage.  By any chance did your May premium pay for June?  Our insurance premiums when I worked always paid a month in advance not for the current month.
As I recall (retired now) the COBRA was 100% or 105% of the premium but even at at that it is super important for you to have that continuation of coverage somehow someway.  Last thing you want is more debt but if you have family or a close friend who can loan you the money if you do not have it.  It will be a lot less to pay a few months of premiums than incur a large hospital debt to follow you and hound you for years.
If you can move in with family or get some kind of assistance do what you can.  You need the surgery and need to heal and then worry about a job.  It stinks right now and things look bleak but this will pass and things will work out for you down the road.  Try to stay strong and positive and focus on your surgery and getting well afterwards.
Very sorry you are going through all this aggravation at this important time in your life.

Regular Member

Date Joined Mar 2011
Total Posts : 272
   Posted 5/20/2011 6:17 AM (GMT -6)   
Thanks for the support everyone!  Yes, I can continue my insurance through COBRA, but I heard it was very expensive.  I work for a larger company that is contracted through the hospital I work at.  The hospital decided they did not want to renew their contract with our company, hence me leaving.  shakehead    My company, healthport, said it would send me a packet in the mail on the insurance information.  However, I am just wondering how expensive it is going to be because I heard it was!  Of course, a couple other people told me when I apply for unemployment to file for public aid, too.  Anything to help! 
For my upcoming surgery, the hospital does have a financial assistance program that I was going to apply for.  In Feb., I had part of my colon (half transverse & descending) taken out by a local surgeon here where I live in southern IL, but as you can see, it did not help, and I have felt just as bad! (Found a new doctor, and getting the whole colon taken out this time) I got accpeted then 100% for the stay.  :-)    That was a relief. 
I calmed down after I posted this that day, and I am just trying to look at this way.  Maybe I do need this summer for to focus on my health, get better.  A new job will appear in due time, and maybe this is just a sign for better things indeed. 
Everyone has been supportive.  People have been understanding about my bills, and my parents are trying to help me whenever they can at times, too.  So, hopefully, everything will work out for the best!

Another UC wife
Veteran Member

Date Joined Jun 2007
Total Posts : 2111
   Posted 5/20/2011 7:29 AM (GMT -6)   
Not sure what you are/were paying for your portion of the premium. Whatever percentage that was just figure out 100% or possibly 105% (5% might be assessed for a handling fee type thing) and that should be your Cobra cost.  (When we worked we paid 10% of the premium so Cobra would be taking our premium and multiply by 10) 
I am not trying to trivialize the expense at all and I am sure it is a real kick in the pants right now but for peace of mind I honestly would find a way to have the continuation of coverage for those few months. Overall it will be so much easier than trying to apply for aid and other things you have no control over if accepted or not and so totally eliminate the angst and stress over it. You have so much to think about already so that can really take away alot of the concern about the hospital/doctor bills. I hope you can get it to work out favorably for you. So many don't have insurance or the potential to handle it this way and when you can really focus and evaluate everything this might be your best option overall.

Bay Area Guy
Regular Member

Date Joined Jul 2010
Total Posts : 301
   Posted 5/20/2011 7:26 PM (GMT -6)   
I absolutely agree with Another UC wife.....get the COBRA. I had a relatively "simple" condition that initially landed me in the hospital. I had a volvulous and they need to remove 18 inches of my sigmoid colon to correct it. If it had just stayed that simple, things would have been ok. But with the ileostomy, I ended up getting a small bowel obstruction, which led to dehydration and a four day return visit. A week or so after getting home from that, I developed pneumonia, likely from the NG tube I got with the small bowel, which led to a 10 day hospital visit. Then I had the reversal 6 weeks after that, which was another 4 night stay. In all, my insurance was charged something like $200,000 of which I had to pay only about $400 (two ER visits). So, you can see that maintaining your coverage through COBRA, even though it might be expensive, will possibly save you a ton of grief in the long run.
New Topic Post Reply Printable Version
Forum Information
Currently it is Saturday, September 22, 2018 11:36 AM (GMT -6)
There are a total of 3,005,677 posts in 329,250 threads.
View Active Threads

Who's Online
This forum has 161796 registered members. Please welcome our newest member, Crispy Mango.
246 Guest(s), 5 Registered Member(s) are currently online.  Details
SoMuchFun, Deep_sleep, Mind body spirit, Anitas, fiddlecanoe