I have an appointment next Wednesday (8th June) with my original surgeon and I'm going to ask him to put my stoma back.
I can't go on as I am and after lots of discussion with my husband, we've decided it will bring me a better quality of life. Am very scared of course, but even whilst taking this new supposed 'wonder drug' prucalopride, I still had to take Picolax whilst on holiday this week.. The prucalopride barely works and makes me feel like I have morning sickness all the time and a constant headache. I seem to have to do a dose of picolax every 8-10 days just to get relief from the back up, bloating, nausea and distention. Have a few 'okayish' days then it all starts again...
So... what sort of questions should I be asking him? This is what I have on my list so far. Please feel free to add anything you think I should be asking.... some of you may know the answers to some of these questions too!
1. Loop or end stoma? - am wondering if he'll do a loop first, then if they're sure I'm feeling better, convert it to an end at some future point.
2. Can he put in a protective mesh to prevent hernia? will this make it a bigger op?
3. Will it be done open or laprascopic?
4. What happens to the redundant colon? does he need to take that out?
5. What are the long term complications and likelihood of repeat surgery or reforming of the stoma?
6. How long will it take, how long in hosp and what is the recovery like?
Whilst it's very scary, I feel excited that this will be the start of a new chapter and an opportunity to get my life back. I just hope he agrees!! my old stoma nurse has already written to him suggesting that this is what I want and that she's supporting my decision. Hope I'm making the right decision......
Thanks in advance xx
Sarah - 38 year old mum of 2 boys, competitive runner/triathlete, health and fitness writer
June 2010 - Peritonitis caused by perforated diverticulitis. Emergency surgery.
August 2010 - Sigmoid colectomy and temp ileostomy
October 2010 - Ileostomy reversal - but didn't go well and struggling since.
Currently - dx colonic dysmotility April 2011. Currently taking Prucalopride 2mg p/d