1. Was your GI against surgery unless it was life saving and if so why?
Well, my GI [at the time] told me that he would support my decision 100% and my only 2 options were either Remicade or Surgery. However, I got the distinct impression that he was pushing for Remicade. Then when I chose surgery his whole attitude changed. My new GI, after my surgery, told me that given my set of circumstances she would made the same decision I made with choosing surgery. She said that if I had been her patient, before surgery, she would have referred me to a surgeon, without even trying Remicade as I had "indefinite for dysplasia" and that in and of itself was enough to warrant surgery.
2. Was your surgeon very blase about surgery during your consult?
He was not blase, but pointed out a couple of things that I had not encountered in my intense research prior to making my decision. He also told me that he was the last person that I should want to see in treating my Crohn's. He had removed 10-inches of my colon just 9-months earlier and the area around the re-section looked fine, therefore, I think he thought maybe I should "try" Remicade, but he never said that. He did tell me that he never tells a patient to have surgery and that they need to make that decision on their own. I told him that the mere fact that I was willing to go through a 2nd major abdominal surgery less than 1-year after the 1st one should let him know how serious I was. After my surgery, he told me that I made the right decision and that my colon was in terrible shape and that Remicade would not have worked.
57 year old Grandma in the Buckeye State.
DX'd in 2006 with UC and in 2007 DX changed to Crohn's Colitis.
June 2010 had 10 inches of my colon removed due to a stricture.
Refused Remicade and Humira and opted for what I was certain the end result would be.
July 2011 had a proctocolectomy and permanent ileostomy without reservation.
Got my life back and stoma Lillie and I are doing great !!!