Hi Eileen. Thanks for your response!
I have had a couple of colonoscopies since this began, from two different GIs and they found nothing. I've also had an endoscopy, barium swallow and tons of bloodwork. All came up negative, so they diagnosed it as IBS.
I expect you're right about the likelihood of me talking anyone into operating on me because of IBS, but, quite frankly, I'd be as happy if they'd do an ileostomy and were done with it. I just talked to a friend of my parents who had an ileostomy 24 years ago and he has no complaints; his life is much better than when he was suffering from what turned out to be ulcerative colitis.
I started thinking about colostomies last summer, after my mother told me about the above friend. I actually got an appointment with a surgeon at that time and talked it over. At that time he said that if my quality of life was really bad and if my GI said it was okay, he'd do it. Flash forward to a week and a half ago when I finally decided I'd had enough and wanted to do it. My GI was reluctant, but agreed, though he said it "may not solve" my problem. This past week, I went to see the surgeon again, who insisted on talking to the GI. After he did, he came in and told me the GI had said I shouldn't have it, so he wouldn't do it. I was shocked! I don't know what happened from one week to the next, but it really took me by surprise. The surgeon's assistant had already booked me for the surgery and I had started to make plans with work about how to get the time off (pending talking to the surgeon and finding out how much time I'd need).
So, trust me, I *don't* love my GI. At this point, though, I don't know that I can afford to wait for the length of time it would take to get in and see another one. I called my GIs office on Friday and his secretary will arrange for me to speak with him on the phone on Monday morning to discuss this. This largely explains my coming here and posting. I'd like to figure out whether a colostomy (or ileostomy) would make sense for me (or not) and possibly be able to try to talk him into it, though I don't hold out a lot of hope. My surgeon is at least forwarding my stuff to a group of colo-rectal specialists at a local hospital so that I can at least get a second opinion; maybe I'll be able to talk them into doing it.
I just want it to end, you know? From everything I've heard and read, an ostomy isn't the end of the world to live with and it sure sounds better than the life-sucking condition I have now. My job is in serious jeopardy and the rest of my life has been a series of "oh, sorry, I'm not making it today after all; my guts are acting up". I want my life back! Sorry for the longwinded post and thanks for listening! If anyone has any arguments pro or con the ostomy thing to solve my problem, I'd like to hear them.
Do or do not. There is no try.