I just found out this past Wednesday that I have prostate cancer. I do have my biopsy results but haven't had "the talk" yet with my doctor. Even though I've done a lot of reading I'm still not sure how serious my situation is. Fortunately I'm not freaking out and no one is preparing my eulogy. I turn 52 tomorrow. I guess I got a great birthday present in that my cancer was detected so it can be dealt with. Here are my stats
52 years old
good physical condition
Oct 6 2007 Blood test
- PSA 0.75
February 7, 2008 Physical by Dr. Rysso
- BP 120/80
- Pulse 55
- Cholesterol (total 212, tri 51, HDL 48, LDL 156
- PSA not tested
- DRE revealed possible ridge/bump on left side so suggests I get checked by a urologist
- Overall health is excellent
February 21, 2008 DRE by Dr. Joseph Cerny
- confirms small lump on left side of prostate
- prostate appears normal size
- recommends a biopsy
March 2, 2008 Biopsy by Dr. Joseph Cerny Jr., Minneapolis North Memora
- left side(left space 15%, mid 50%, apex 30%)
- right side all clear
- Gleason's 3+3=6
- Clininical T1c
- 90% organ confined
- 9% capsular penetratio
- recommends robotic assisted prostatectomy
March 12, 2008 1st Consultation scheduled with Dr. Cerny
March 18, 2008 Colonoscopy at Waconia Hospital scheduled with Dr. Tanghe
March 21, 2008 2nd opinion at Mayo Clinic by Dr. Lieber
I have a few questions to start with
1) Do any of you have any experience with Dr. Cerny or Dr. Lieber?
2) Does the 9% capsular penetration suggest that the cancer has left my prostate and entered other areas?
3) Have any of you experienced back pain associated with prostate cancer, if so please describe it for me
4) Any suggestions on things I can do now to improve my post op recovery? Specially the inconstinenece.
5) Anyone know if the fact that my PSA is so low (0.75 in Oct 2007) yet my Gleason is 3+3 tells me anything?