I want to join in with Danman, and welcome you to the best place on the web for patient to patient interaction. I have always felt that once you have made a decision regarding treatment, you stay committed to that decision. When I first came here, I did not like radiation as a front line therapy, and chose surgery with a big name guy also. I no longer question the front line treatment option, as long as it works. So as I have stayed committed to my decision, I respect those who chose their methods and have stayed committed to them. All procedures can have side effects, however.
While I would tend to side with Johns Hopkins that a bone scan is probably not necessary with your very early detection, remember, you are the one who controls your treatments. Many let their doctors choose the tests and methods, but ultimately you have the right to request a test, and expect they will run it. I did not have a CT or MRI before surgery even though I did have high risk numbers. It turns out that I'm glad they did not run those tests before surgery, else they might have determined it inoperable. I did have a negative bone scan. And there are studies that are being run that are showing it was still a good idea to have surgery for me.
You have to roll with the punches, as they say. you sound like you are on your way to a healthy post operative life. Be patient, many have had their continence return as time rolls on. Give it time and be well...and Welcome to Healingwell.
Age 45 (44 when Dx)
Pre-op PSA was 19.8
Surgery on Feb 16, 2007 @ The City of Hope
Post-Op Pathology: Gleason 4+3=7, positive margins, Stage pT3b (Stage III)
HT began in May, '07 with Lupron and Casodex 50mg
IMRT radiation for 38 Treatments ending August 3, '07
Current PSA (May 9 '08): <0.1
I will continue HT until May '09.
Years in Remission (3/23/07): 1
Visit my Journey at:
Prostate Cancer Forum Moderator