Hey Bill! Is there anyway you could call the lab and find out what your exact PSA is? I agree with the above posts, unless your PSA, while still "undetectable" has gone up. For example, if your PSA was .03 and is now .06, I would do the radiation.
My father had negative margins, except for one focally positive. "Focally" defined as touching but not going through. So, the million dollar question is how could he have a positive lymph node (which was a pin drop size positive) without having a margin that was clearly positive. Anyways, because of the positive lymph node, even though he had a post op PSA of .07 and then at around 8 weeks .05 we decided to do the radiation. Obviously, no guarantees, but after seeing the study that was posted yesterday in here, I am so grateful that he did the radiation. Still, no guarantees, but we obviously want the best odds. So, with all that being said, if it were me, I would see if I could get a specific PSA reading. If your PSA is .001, I would wait, but if it has risen but not reached "detectable" I would fire the torpedoes.
Side effects are serious. My father tolerated radiation very well, however, he HATES HT and is counting the days until he can stop. He is only a couple months out of IMRT and he looks great and is physically like a horse. :) It's a heavy decision, but this is obviously a good place to kick around ideas. Good luck in your decision making process. We obviously have your back regardless of what decision you make.
Father's Age 62 (now 63)
Original Gleason 3+4=7, Post-Op Gleason- 4+3=7,
DaVinci Surgery Aug 31, 2007
Focally Positive Right Margin, One positive node. T3a N1 M0.
Bone Scan/CT Negative (Sept. 10, 2007)
Oct. 17 PSA 0.07
Nov. 13 PSA 0.05
Casodex adm. Nov 07, Lupron beg. Dec 03, 2007 2 yrs
Radiation March 03-April 22, 2008- 8 weeks 5x a week
Praying for a cured dad. First PSA 3 months!
Co-Moderator Prostate Cancer Forum