It's not you. Unfortunately, this disease can be deceiving. For one, when you hear on TV that "when caught early PCa is nearly 100% curable" it is that statement that is deceiving as well. True when caught in stage 1 or 2 it is very curable, about
98%. But that leaves 2% and unfortunately David has more work to do. Now a person like David can still achieve a durable remission and he did not have an aggressive Gleason. So while he needs more work, he can still beat this thing.
the use of the word "cure". I prefer remission. When ads or statements like above are stated, keep in mind the average age at diagnosis is 68. There many who die with prostate cancer and not because of it. There should be a special catagory for these guys as they surely go in the "cured" catagory when they die of something else.
But we do have a duty to remain positive and hopeful, if for no other reason, ourselves. This is cancer and it can come back on anyone.
This is about
the fifth time I have posted that information. I hate it every time because I don't want to discourage anyone.
Instead, I'd rather just give my very best wishes to David to get back to remission.
Age 46 (44 when Dx)
Pre-op PSA was 19.8
Surgery on Feb 16, 2007 @ The City of Hope
Post-Op Pathology: Gleason 4+3=7, positive margins, Extra Prostatic Extension (EPE)
Bilateral seminal vesicle invasion (SVI); Stage pT3b, N0, Mx
HT began in May, '07 with Lupron and Casodex 50mg (2 Year ADT)
IMRT radiation for 38 Treatments ending August 3, '07
Current PSA (September 17 '08): <0.1 ~ Undetectable!
You can visit my Journey at:
Post Edited (TC-LasVegas) : 10/7/2008 4:23:07 PM (GMT-6)