See the DaVinci doc tomorrow

New Topic Post Reply Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> ]

Ralph Alfalfa
Regular Member

Date Joined Nov 2008
Total Posts : 469
   Posted 11/18/2008 9:03 PM (GMT -6)   
Yep, Let's see what he has to say.  I had gut surgery to repair a botched colonoscopy in '96, so I don't know how much scar tissule will be involved.  But, will see him to see if I am a candidate for this.  I have a list of questions for him, but would appreciate any others you guys might think I should ask.  He's done this over 500 times so I feel pretty confident he can handle it, plus, my primary doc's family has used him and were all very happy with him. 
I need to update my profile but basically, Gleason 3+4, 4 of 12 samples prove positive on the left side with pre-cancerous on the right.  Pelvic CT and bone scan negative.  PSA 14.5.
One more thing.  My urologist said that if I had radiation and the cancer came back that I could not have surgery, but if I had surgery and it came back, I could have radiation.  Were you all told this?  My primary also concurred saying there would be too mluch damage after radiation to do surgery.  Is he correct?
I'll let you know.  My wife is taking this pretty hard and I'm trying to convince her it will be okay, but, she's behind any decision I make, and that helps.
Talk to you tomorrow.  Glad you're home, Dave.

Tony Crispino
Veteran Member

Date Joined Dec 2006
Total Posts : 8128
   Posted 11/18/2008 9:13 PM (GMT -6)   
Good luck Ralph,
You can draw from David's experience to add a question to your list: If there are complications would you switch to an open procedure? I'm sure you have a good list, so have a good day! Let us know what he says.

Age 46 (44 when Dx)
Pre-op PSA was 19.8
Surgery on Feb 16, 2007 @ The City of Hope
Post-Op Pathology: Gleason 4+3=7, positive margins, Extra Prostatic Extension (EPE)
Bilateral seminal vesicle invasion (SVI); Stage pT3b, N0, Mx
HT began in May, '07 with Lupron and Casodex 50mg (2 Year ADT)
IMRT radiation for 38 Treatments ending August 3, '07
Current PSA (September 17 '08): <0.1 ~ Undetectable!
You can visit my Journey at:

Regular Member

Date Joined Apr 2008
Total Posts : 270
   Posted 11/19/2008 8:41 AM (GMT -6)   
It looks like you are moving in a sound direction. I know there are no absolutes with any direction for treatment, but I did follow a similar path because of what you stated - if the cancer returns I can fall back on radiation. I have a friend who was diagnosed PC in the early 90's and had open surgery. His PSA rose after around 2 years and so he followed it with radiation and his PSA has been fine since.

All the treatment decisions are tough. It is interesting that most people on this forum are happy with the decisions they have made about their PC, and would not go a different route - this despite the fact there are many approaches. Blessings.
Age 61 (now 62)
Original data - pre-operation
PSA: 5.1
T1C clinical diagnosis, Needle biopsy - 10 cores, Gleason 7 = 3+4 in 1 core (40%), 7 cores Gleason 6 = 3+3 ranging from 5% to 12%
All scans negative
Lupron administered 4/9/2008 for 4 months (with idea I would undergo external beam radiation followed by seed implants - then I changed my mind).
Robotic DiVinci surgery - Dr. Fagin (Austin) May 19th
Post operative - pathology
pT2c NX MX
Gleason 3+4
Margins - negative
Extraprostatic extension - negative
seminal vesicle invasion - uninvolved
1st Post PSA <.04
2nd Post PSA <.1 10/30/2008
New Topic Post Reply Printable Version
Forum Information
Currently it is Wednesday, September 19, 2018 7:32 AM (GMT -6)
There are a total of 3,004,562 posts in 329,154 threads.
View Active Threads

Who's Online
This forum has 161744 registered members. Please welcome our newest member, rju65654.
285 Guest(s), 6 Registered Member(s) are currently online.  Details
sandyfeet, pasayten, 142, RobLee, Mamatomypeas, iPoop