Here is my history.
I am another no cancer (per biopsy), but high psa velocity person. Rarely have Symtoms (great diifficulty with urination start, high urges, and long time finish 3- 5 minutes). However, they are brought on by heavy lifting (ex, lift and drag logs to clear land for 3 hours). Age is 66. Father and Uncle had prostate cancer at 75, PSA = 4.5, father had Lupron for a couple of months was taken off it and the PSA droped and the cancer shrunk and remained dormant, died at 78 from heart attack. Uncle had radio active distruction of his prostate and is 82 and living.
PSA History 11/2008 = 9.5, 5/2008 bisopsy showed no cancer for 12 cores, 5/2008 = 6.2, 4/2007=4.5, 3/2006 = 3
If you don't communicate well with your urologist, and you think it is his fault, then you should get one you can put faith in. On the other hand, perhaps you just feel he isn't saying what you want to hear. [ might get a new one, if he wants an immediate biopsy. Based on your statement below, I think 6 more months need to pass before the next biopsy to allow normal PSA settling to occur ]
Having said all of the above, and being a person who normally looks for a way to avoid unnecessary biopsies, your PSA numbers appear to be on a steady and increasing march. If its not caused by some other reason then you need another biopsy. Looks like the velocity is taking off.
Worker...... One statement you made jumped out at me.....
" Based on your statement below, I think 6 more months need to pass before the next biopsy to allow normal PSA settling to occur"
You seem to be referring to something I said..
Let me be very clear. Nothing I said in my post suggests you should wait "6 more months" before getting a 2nd biopsy. We were discussing courses of antibiotics being from 7 days to 30 days.
We were discussing getting 2nd opinions. We were discussing seeing what your post antibiotic PSA turns out to be. But we never said anything about
waiting 6 more months.
Now if this next PSA in a week or two turns out to drop way down, back to 6.2 or well below, then you, in conjunction with that second opinion from another urologist, might want to delay a biopsy.
You would have to discuss your entire history with him and then make your choice.
However given the velocity you've seen over the past 6 months, unless there is a dramatic reversal in this current PSA you will be doing, then it appears from this lay person's perspective that you'd be making a very risky bet by waiting 6 months to "allow normal PSA settling to occur"...
Not sure where you got that idea from my posts in this thread as they relate to your particular situation.
Hope that makes my points clearer. Remember I have ZERO medical training. If you want to alter course or wait any considerable time, I really think you ought to get a second opinion from another urologist.
Let us know how this next PSA test in a couple weeks turns out.
Selmer Thanks for pointing out my judgement error. I will expain: I was thinking about
potential urininary infection (am not sure I had one, but had symtoms 6 days after the PSA was drawn Nov 20, 08) and jumped to an opinion on strategy if the PSA comes back high. These thoughts include ....antibiotics being ineffective , ....long time needed to for a urinary infection to be cleared up. You indeed said nothing about
the stategy I conjured up: waiting 6 months urinary infection to clear up and then get another PSA and if high then get the biopsy at that time. Will let youi know late this week about