Biopsy and PSA

New Topic Post Reply Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> ]

Regular Member

Date Joined Jan 2009
Total Posts : 40
   Posted 1/25/2009 2:14 PM (GMT -6)   
Hey guys,
How long should you wait after a biopsy to repeat psa testing?  My psa was 2.6 proir to biopsy, I retested my psa at 7 weeks and it came back at 4.0.  Did I have the test too soon?
Age 44, DX 12/08
Psa 2.6 free 11%
One of twelve cores pos. with 5% pc Gleason 6 3+3

Regular Member

Date Joined Jan 2009
Total Posts : 41
   Posted 1/25/2009 2:24 PM (GMT -6)   
What I am wondering is why would you have a PSA test after having biopsy performed? A PSA is to indicate whether or not you have cancer. If you already know you have cancer from the biopsy, what's the point of another PSA?
Tom, age 51
Diagnosed 11/12/2008
PSA 2006 - 2.8, 2007 3.06, 2008 4.6 (remember the rate of increase is as important as the level), PSA free 8.7%
Gleason score 7 (4+3); 6 out of 19 cores sampled positive for cancer; perineural invasion present
Bone scan and CT scan both negative
Prostate mildly enlarged, DRE negative
DaVinci radical prostatectomy 12/30/2008 - Duke Medical Center - left side nerves spared
Scheduled for catheter removal 1/15/2009

"Pick a good doctor and say your prayers"

Regular Member

Date Joined Jan 2009
Total Posts : 40
   Posted 1/25/2009 2:28 PM (GMT -6)   
I was having blood work done anyway so i asked my gp to also do a psa. I've been considering AS and was curious if the psa was stable.
Age 44, DX 12/08
Psa 2.6 free 11%
One of twelve cores pos. with 5% pc Gleason 6 3+3

Elite Member

Date Joined Oct 2008
Total Posts : 25393
   Posted 1/25/2009 2:51 PM (GMT -6)   
My dr. had one more psa done on me after my last biopsy, but before my surgery to see if my rapid psa velocity was still accelerating, and it was. But sounds like your was voluntary.
Age 56, 56 at DX, PSA 7/7 5.8, 7/8 12.3, 9/8 14.9, 10/8 16.4
3rd Biopsy 9-2008 Positive 7 of 7 cores positive, 40 - 90%, G 4+3 & 3+4
Open RP surgery 11/14/8, Non-nerve sparing, 4 days hospital, staples out 11/24/8, Catheter out on 12/15/8. Stopped flowing, new catheter put in 12/16/08, Catheter out 12/29/08. Emergency room put in Catheter # day 45, 1/5/9 - Cath #3 out, dr. did cycloscope, saw potential blockage, put in Catheter #4, 1/13/9 - removed blockage, put in Cath #5, 1/19/9 -out
Post-surgery Pathlogy Report:Gleason 3+4=7, pT2c, 42 grams, tumor 20%, Contained in capsular, clear margins, clear lymph nodes 
First PSA Post Surgery  Scheduled now for 2/9/9

Regular Member

Date Joined Apr 2008
Total Posts : 364
   Posted 1/25/2009 3:23 PM (GMT -6)   


It seems most uro's recommend waiting 6-8 weeks before they will do surgery after the biopsy, as I understand it to let the prostate recover from the trauma.  Common sense would seem to dictate that a semi reliable PSA would fall in the same timeframe.



 54 y.o.
 Diagnosed 4/10/08
 DRE Normal
 Biopsy- 12 cores, 4 positive highest 4+4=8
 Bone scan, CT scan and Chest X-ray clear 4/16/08
 Urologist suggested surgery 4/16/08
 MRI on 4/24/08 clear no suggestion of lymph node   involvement.
 4/24/08 -Started on Lupron and Casodex preparing for HDRT and IMRT in late July.  This treatment will not preclude me from surgery if I change my mind.
Decide to have DaVinci surgery after another consult with surgeon.
6/19/08- DaVinci surgery at University of Washington.
6/25/08- Path report, clear margins, no noted extension
9/12/08- PSA <0.02 
12/05/08-PSA <0.02 Six months after surgery 

Regular Member

Date Joined Jan 2009
Total Posts : 62
   Posted 1/25/2009 4:14 PM (GMT -6)   
My PSA before biopsy was 3.7.
PSA before surgery, 8 weeks after biposy was 7.0.

PC diagnosis @ 53 YO
PSA: 3.4 - 3.7 for preceeding 10 years, new GP advised Urologist visit

09/18/09 12 plug biopsy
09/29/09 PC diagnosis, 1 of 12 plugs, 5% cancer, Gleason 3+3 (6), left side plug w/cancer
12/17/09 da Vinci robotic radical prostatectomy, lab confirmed biopsy, 5%, PIN rest of prostrate, negative margins
12/29/09 catheter removed

current status: 3-4 pads/diapers a day, dry overnight, however; total ED

Regular Member

Date Joined Jan 2009
Total Posts : 40
   Posted 1/25/2009 5:27 PM (GMT -6)   

The only other psa test I've had was around 9/08 it was 2.4. I believe they were all done at the same lab. Yesterday I had made my decision to go with AS for know. Today I got those results and now I'm starting to second guess that decision.
Age 44, DX 12/08
Psa 2.6 free 11%
One of twelve cores pos. with 5% pc Gleason 6 3+3

Regular Member

Date Joined Jun 2008
Total Posts : 407
   Posted 1/27/2009 1:07 AM (GMT -6)   
Your primary care physician should be the person you ask the question to.

Age:  59 (58 at diagnosis - June, 2008)

April '08 PSA 4.8 ("free PSA" 7.9), up from 3.5 year prior

June '08 had biopsy, 2 days later told results positive but in less than 1% of sample

Gleason's 3+3=6

Developed sepsis 2 days post-biopsy, seriously ill in hospital for 3 days

Dr. recommended robotic removal using da Vinci

Surgery 9/10/08

Northwestern Memorial Hospital, Chicago, IL

Dr. Robert Nadler, Urologist/Surgeon

Post-op Gleason's:  3+3, Tertiary 4

Margins:  Free

Bladder & Urethral:  Free

Seminal vesicles:  Not involved

Lymphatic/Vascular Invasion:  Not involved

Tumor:  T2c; Location:  Bilateral; Volume:  20%

Catheter:  Removed 12-days after surgery

Incontinent:  Yes (getting better, though)

Combination of Cialis and MUSE (alprostadil) three times weekly started 9-27-08

Returned to work 9-29-08 (18-19 days post-op)

PSA test result, post-op, 10/08: 0.0; 12/08: 0.0


New Topic Post Reply Printable Version
Forum Information
Currently it is Monday, September 24, 2018 6:40 PM (GMT -6)
There are a total of 3,006,235 posts in 329,318 threads.
View Active Threads

Who's Online
This forum has 161825 registered members. Please welcome our newest member, TheRayf.
286 Guest(s), 6 Registered Member(s) are currently online.  Details
Admin, G-Ju, Aurora2013, kittytalk371, halbert, dsrouillard