PSA3 is a new urine test and the prostate gland has to be massaged before you pee in the cup. Tests like PSA3 and free psa are ways to indicate the likelyhood of PCa vs BPH and are very useful in determining if you should get a biopsy or not. It does not replace a biopsy.
Since PSA3 is relatively new we really don't know what the numbers mean because there hasn't been a lot of data generated yet. High normal for a PSA3 test is 35 and any number higher than this indicates a probablity of PCa just like a freePSA score of less than 20% indicates a probability of PCa vs BPH.
My Doc thinks that the higher the PCA3 number is the more agressive the cancer is, but at this time without any long term studies this is just a theory.
PSA3 is just another tool and we need all the tools we can get.
I had a psa of 4.4 in 1999 and steadily increasing psa every 3-6 months before reaching 40 in 5-08.Free psa ranged from 16 to 10%
I had biopsies every year, 13 total in all. I saw 5 different doctors, all urologists or urological oncologists at Long Beach, UCLA, UCSF and UCI and had an MRIS at UCSF in 2007. All tests were negative and I was told that because of all the biopsies I most likely didn't have PC, but to keep getting biopsies every year.
in Oct 08 my 13th biopsy of 25 cores indicated 2 positive cores, gleason 3+3 less that 5% in 2 cores. Doc recommended surgery.
2nd opinion from a prostate oncologist, referred by my wife's oncologists said cancer found wis indolant and statistacally insignificant, but PSA histor was a major concern and ordered a few more tests.
Color Doppler ultrasound with targeted biopsy found a transition zone tumor 18mmX16mm, gleason 3+4 and 4+3. CT and bone scans clear, but Doc thinks that there may be lymph node involvement (30% chance) because of my high PSA, and referred me for a Combidex MRI in Holland, currently scheduled for Feb 14.
Changed diet and takiing supplements while I wait. The location of the tumor plus the high psa make surgery an unlikely option. I'm still evaluatiing all treatment options and will make a decision once I get the results of the Combidex scan.