Hi all. Today I had my appointment with Dr Patel in Orlando. For those who are considering him, he is top shelf. The operation there at Celebration Health is state of the art and very professional. He has done over 2500 robotic prostate surgeries.
Now the bad news. Due to some ambiguity in my pathology reports, he decided to do another DRE, my third in less than 30 days. He was shocked at the size of the tumor and said it wasn't described accurately in the earlier reports. He feels it my be a T3 and that any surgery should not be nerve sparing on the right side and he would have to "go wide" on that side. He counseled me not to wait beyond the 8 weeks post biopsy to have it done.
I explained to him that if I decided on open surgery, I was going to have it done by James Eastham at Sloan Kettering. He asked if I'd been to NY or was Dr Eastham going by the records. Eastham hasn't examined me so Dr Patel gave me his card and said to have Dr Eastham call him.
This thing keeps getting worse so I'm going to stop updating my signature until I finally have something concrete.
Age at diagnosis 61 5'8" 260 lbs.
Resides in SW Florida
12/07 PSA 2.6 12/08 PSA 4.0
Biopsy 1/09 - 6 of 8 nodes positive
Left - 2 of 4 positive, 2% involved, 4+3=7 Gleason
Right - 4 of 4 positive, 40% involved, 4+3=7 Gleason
Perineual invasion is present
DRE small nodule on right - Prostate 22.6 cc's