I read some of Liebowitz's papers and he he states that he treated around 250 patients with a gleason ranging from 6 to 8 and PSA averaging around 10. (The numbers may not be accurrate but they are close) go to his papers to see the actual numbers. I think he has had only 8 reoccurrances in 7 years. If these are true and I have no reason to believe they are not, they are better than any of the other treatment options currently being offered. This is without any of the long term side affects of the other standard treatments and still leaves all other options
open with the exception of nerve sparing RP since the drugs scar the nerves and they are difficult to spare in surgery. The other benefit is that the protocol can be done anywhere. This is definately worth looking into as an option for a local treatment. The protocal is 150 mg of Casadex daily, Lupron every 28 days and proscar for 13 months, then proscar maintenance. All side affects usually go away within a couple of months.
I had a psa of 4.4 in 1999 and steadily increasing psa every 3-6 months before reaching 40 in 5-08.Free psa ranged from 16 to 10%
I had biopsies every year, 13 total in all. I saw 5 different doctors, all urologists or urological oncologists at Long Beach, UCLA, UCSF and UCI and had an MRIS at UCSF in 2007. All tests were negative and I was told that because of all the biopsies I most likely didn't have PC, but to keep getting biopsies every year.
in Oct 08 my 13th biopsy of 25 cores indicated 2 positive cores, gleason 3+3 less that 5% in 2 cores. Doc recommended surgery.
2nd opinion from a prostate oncologist, referred by my wife's oncologists said cancer found wis indolant and statistacally insignificant, but PSA histor was a major concern and ordered a few more tests.
Color Doppler ultrasound with targeted biopsy found a transition zone tumor 18mmX16mm, gleason 3+4 and 4+3. CT and bone scans clear, but Doc thinks that there may be lymph node involvement (30% chance) because of my high PSA, and referred me for a Combidex MRI in Holland, currently scheduled for Feb 14.
Changed diet and takiing supplements while I wait. The location of the tumor plus the high psa make surgery an unlikely option. I'm still evaluatiing all treatment options and will make a decision once I get the results of the Combidex scan.