I agree with David (Purgatory). I'm choosing open surgery because, in my case, it gives me the best chance at a cure. If not, I still have radiation to fall back on. In addition, I want the bugger out of there and want to know where I stand re: progression. The only way to get that is by post surgery pathology. To top it off, my surgeon is the Chief of Surgery for Urology at MSK and he says it's the best way to go.
As someone on this site likes to say..."Do your homework, find a doctor you trust, make a decision and don't look back". Good advice.
Tony I have just noticed that our stats are remarkably similar. Myself, now 61, no symptoms, nothing felt DRE (that's because it turned out the tumour was to the front of the gland, top to bottom) , PSA 05....2.8, 06....3.2 07....3.9, 4 of 10 positive, Gleason 4+3, both lobes involved. Gland volume about
32cc. I chose surgery because (1) I wanted it out and if it was I would know the true extent. (2) Should surgery eventually not effect a cure then I could attack again with radiation. (3) Should the salvage radiation fail then ADT was available followed by chemotherapy if required. The more that time passes the more is discovered about
the disease and the more advances are made. Hopefully I (along with all of you) should still be around when and if the ultimate breakthrough (gene therapy?) is made.