A friend of mine has been diagnosed with prostate cancer. His PSA and gleasons are similar to mine- similar biopsy results although a couple of my samples indicated a higher percentage than his.
The main difference is that my DRE indicated a significant tumor on the right side whereas his DRE showed normal- PSA increase gave rise to his biopsy.
We are both investigating the available treatments ( or not ).
My question is this. All other things being fairly equal ,what is the significance of postive V. negative DRE findings. In other words is it likely that I am in more trouble given the DRE findings.
Not necessarily. A DRE is only as good as the doctor giving it. My Pca was initially found by a DRE and a couple of urologists I saw afterward told me to commend my primary care doctor for a good find. Many others wouldn't have felt it. That said after a normal and a 3d mapping biopsy my Pca was found to be early stage and I was designated as a good candidate for TFT (targeted focal therapy) which the last I saw only about
57% who go through a 3d mapping biopsy remain eligible for. The other 43% go on to more aggressive radical treatments. I don't know exactly how that compares to post surgical upgrades but I bet it's fairly close. Of course with your dx how really significant is your significant tumor? But as I said to begin with not necessarily so don't automatically think the worse.
Diagnosed 11/08/07 - Age: 58 - 3 of 12 @5%
Psa: 2.3 - 3+3=6 - Size: 34g -T-2-A
2/22/08 - 3D Mapping Saturation Biopsy - 1 of 45 @2% - Psa:2.1 - 3+3=6 - 28g after taking Avodart - Catheter for 1 day -Good Candidate for TFT(Targeted Focal Therapy) Cryosurgery(Ice Balls) - Clinical Research Study
4/22/08 - TFT performed at University of Colorado Medical Center - Catheter for 4 days - Slight soreness for 2 weeks but afterward life returns as normal
7/30/08 - Psa: .32
11/10/08 - Psa.62 - Not unexpected bounce after the 80% drop the quarter earlier. Along with urine flow readings, an acceptable amount left in bladder measured by sonic. Results warrant skipping third quarter tests, and to return April, 2009 for final biopsy scheduled to
complete clinical research study