What I thought was a pretty straight-forward question yielded quite a variety of responses. I thank you all for the feedback and, in particular to you Jim, I've been following your courageous and inspiring threads and personal web site and you are in our always thoughts. My wife is living proof that even really difficult cancers can be defeated so you hang tough!
As to my question, I am not particularly anxious nor am I losing any sleep over this so not to worry. I thought the question was very much in line with one of the overriding concepts expressed in this forum which is that we all need to take charge of our own treatments, to a certain degree, since every case of PC is different. One of the reasons I chose RRP was so that I would have other options available in case there ever were a recurrence and the best way to know if that ever happens, IMHO, would be to have an oncologist doing regular checkups in addition to my urologist. This was the course recommended for my wife and what's good enough for her...
I don't want to be getting poked and prodded by too many doctors, each having their own axe to grind, but due diligence seems to be in order here. This is, after all, the Big C we're talking about
and is why such excitement is generated whenever someone in this group gets to report another zero from their last PSA test.
So, Thanx again for the responses. I'll talk to my urologist next week and maybe my wife's oncologist during her next visit later this month and see what they think. Then I'll mull it over, with maybe a little more feedback from y'all, and decide what my best course of action is.
DOB: Q4'46, HT: 5'9", WT: 180
Cores: 4 of 12+ positive
DRE: Slight enlargement, one node
Surgery: RRP on 1/21/09
Catheter: 15 days
Adenocarcinoma occupying 5% of prostatic volume (right posterior aspect)
No extraprostatic extensions
Perineural invasion within prostate only
No angiolymphatic invasion
No seminal vesicle invasion