Had six week RRP follow up today with urologist. Positive margins and some node involvement in path report had me braced for more of seemingly endless stream of negative news and i wasn't disappointed.
PSA .6 and uro's demeanor was not encouraging. At first he discussed the possibility of a "prostascint test" to determine if the PSA was being generated by a local or systemic presence. But as the discussion wore on he suggested that I wait 4 weeks, do another PSA test and if the climb continues immediately begin ADT. Because of my high Gleason and the size of my tumor he seemed somewhat less than optimistic about the possible effectiveness of the ADT. I asked a lot of questions but I left in a funk with of course several unasked.
Don't the presence of positive margins suggest that some residual cancer was left behind locally and couldn't this residual cancer be responsible for the PSA?
Anyway, I refuse to tone down my expectations and I expect to hang tough for a long time. I am searching for a good medical oncologist as I feel that I need more educated reinforcement. For tonight I'm sitting back with a glass of good Chianti and taking a break from the war.
Sincerely hope that all of you are well and staying positive.