I had a retropubic RP in early May. Recovery is going well. Catheter removed and staples out 2 weeks later. I had pretty much full urinary control from the get-go except for a few stress squirts from a sneeze or cough. That is almost completely gone now at 4 weeks out. Nerves were spared but, at best 25-30% of presurgery erectile function. I am trying Levitra for the first time.
Pathology from surgery as follows:
1) Staging: pT3a N0 Mx...stage III prostate cancer, cancer has extended beyond prostate capsule, no lymph node involvement, metastasis (spread) cannot be determined
2) Extraprostatic Extension (EPE): Unifocal, tumour abutting periprostatic fat, distinct bulging tumour nodule...the cancer is not confined to the prostate
3) EPE within surgical margins
4) Seminal vesicles: Clear
5) Lymph nodes: No malignancy in regional lymph nodes
6) Gleason score: Upgraded from 6 (3+3) to 7 (3+4), both lobes affected with tumours
7) Perineural invasion: Present (seen on biopsy, also)
8) Resection margins: Apical, bladder neck, radial...uninvolved with cancer
9) Additional: High grade PIN, glandular and stromal hyperplasia
Not what I was hoping for, the cancer was not confined to the prostate and Gleason is higher than presurgery biopsy, but it is what it is. Next step will be talking to a radiation oncologist specializing in PCa and waiting to see results of 3 month PSA test in August.
In the mean time, I am working on recovering from surgery and doing very well. I'm slowly starting to get back to working out, getting my fitness level improved and I'm keeping a strong and positive attitude.
I still have a lot to learn about my present staging and potential further treatment. Any comments would be appreciated.
All for now,