The side effects of the lupron started in earnest about two weeks after the first shot. (I just had my fourth a month ago). Hot flashes were fairly frequent and intense but of short duration. One year later and just after my fourth shot the hot flashes do not seem to come as often nor as intensely. Thankfully, the duration is still short.
Other side effects are:
1. Loss of libido. Since I am single that is not a problem for me.
2. Loss of body hair. Especially on legs and chest.
3. Weight gain. I put on about 20 lbs fairly rapidly in spite of a vigorous workout program and running. I have managed to get about 6 of those back off.
4. Loss of muscle mass. Took about a year for this to show up. Most evident in my upper arms and shoulder. I have had to cut back on the weights to a lower amount. Still three times a week. My running time is off by three minutes per mile. (was 10 now 13) Still in the gym everyday though.
5. Shrunken testicles. The doctor did not mention this in his briefing but seems that others have had the same experience.
6. Depression has not been a problem for me. I do seem to be a bit more sensitive to sad stories on the news and in the papers so I avoid them if possible. I think the exercise helps with this item.
Good luck with your IMRT. My own was not all that tough with only a brief episode of bowel and urinary problems midway. No issues after completion.
Let us know how you are doing. Keep your spirits up it does get better as you adjust to the new reality.
Diagnosed 04/10/08 Age 58 at the time
Gleason 4 + 3
DRE palpable tumor on left side
100% of 12 cores positive for PCa range 35% to 85%
Bone scan clear and chest x ray clear
CT scan shows potential lymph node involvement in pelvic region
Started Casodex on May 2 and stopped on June 1, 2008
Lupron injection on May 15 and every four months for next two years
Started IMRT/IGRT on July 10, 2008. 45 treatments scheduled
First 25 to be full pelvic for a total dose of 45 Gray to lymph nodes.
Last 20 to prostate only. Total dose to prostate 81 Gray.
Completed IMRT/IGRT 09/11/08.
PSA 02/08 21.5 at diagnosis
PSA 07/08 .82 after 8 wks of hormones
PSA 10/08 .642 one month after completion of IMRT, 6 months hormone
PSA 03/09 .38 six months post radiation and nine months into hormones