Gee, what a day from hades. Doctor's office did take me in at 1330, didn't have to wait long, got bumped ahead of everyone in waiting room. As soon as the "scope" was inserted all the way, he immediately said that the
opening was almost completely scarred shut. He was shocked since he did the corrective surgery in January. Then the real pain started, he tried to dialate it
open by inserting progressively larger rods up the old weiner. When he got to 18 ga., it kind of got stuck, couldn't get it in further or out. The assisting nurse was told to get ready to call the hospital to setup an emergency operation. They continued working on me, and got the rod out, and after a prolonged painful attempt, managed to get a working catheter into me. I actually admire his skill and grace at handling a dangerous situation, and I know sometimes, in an emergency, a doctor knows he is hurting you in order to help you. They were very sensitive to my pain level, but managed to get it done right in the end. At times I felt pain easily in the 9-10 range, and not just for a few seconds at a time either. The one nurse was having to hold my feet in the stirups at times because my legs were shaking so bad.
I am home safely now. Getting ready to take a Loratab. They got me on strong antibotics, there was no evidence of any UTI, never had one before. The cath will be in place for two full weeks. There are 3 options that are being considered. One, to remove the cath and see if the dialation holds, and watch me for the day in case a cath has to go back in (being 4 blocks away, thats doable), second, to dialate some more at his office, but this time under sedation, third - to rescope and if it looks like its already scarring back in two weeks, may have to do another corrective surgery at the hospita under GA.
After the pain I have been through today and the past 5 days of increasing blockage, this cathater seems like a blessing. I am flowing fine, can drink anything I want, and might actually get a full nights sleep for the first time in 6 months. That's the positive spin.
He did say that there was no way our local ER would have handled this right, and probably would have seriously damaged me inside with a bad attempt. I believe him.
He got updated with my plans with radiation and the Rad. Oncl., and thinks it is wise to wait a while, and he said my blockage issue would only worsen under radiation, and that needed to be fixed first.
Sorry for so long a post, but it's been one wild, scary and painful day. That is the latest in my never ending saga of PC.
David "Sore Weiner" in SC