Sephie, I can relate directly.
My uro/surgeon was inclined for me to wait another 3 to 6 months even after a 3rd rise in my post surgery psa rises, though the rises were small, they were upward and there was quick doubling time. He did, how say, if I wasn't comfortable with that plan, he could get me hooked up with the radiation people. I "interviewed" 3 of them. The first one treated me 10 years ago, but was moving out of my direct area and the logistics to see him would suck. The 2nd one, may have been a great dr., very experienced, but was such an egotist, so full of himself and acted like a game show host, never would have happened for me. 3rd, the one I chose, is a woman doctor, very experienced, and I have the testimony now of several of her patients, and these are people I have known for years and trust.
Despite my uro wanting to wait and see, all 3 of the rad. doctors said the same thing, that waiting (in view of my pre-surgery psa velocity and now post surgery psa velocity) was dangerous. All 3 thought it would be risky. They all agreed that the most effective use of salvage radiation was at the .5 limit. In my case, with the velocity factor, it would be too easy to double again and shoot over that mark.
I am confident, dear Sephie, that any rad. oncologist will be talking along those lines with your husbands case and numbers. Just my opinion, others can bite my head off, but once you have re-occurance proven post surgery, waiting for anything other than a legitimate medical condition or situation is just plain nuts. Every day, week, or month a person wastes fooling around diminishes their chance for the treatment to have any hope. Did I make that up, no, my current woman doctor pretty well said those very words.
My best to you dear folks.
David in SC
57, 56 dx, PSA: 7/07 5.8, 7/08 12.3, 9/08 14.5, 10/08 16.33rd Biopsy
: 9/08 - 7/7 Positive, 40-90% Cancer, Gleason 4+3Open RP:
11/08, Rht nerves saved, 4 days in hospt, on catheters for 63 days, 5th one out 1/09Path Rpt
: Gleason 3+4, pT2c, 42g, 20%, Contained in capsule, 1 pos margin2009 PSA
: 2/09 .05,5/09 .1, 6/09 .11. 8/09 .16Latest:
7/09 met 2 rad. oncl, 7/09 cath #6 - blockage, 8/09 2nd corr surgery, 8/9 cath #7 - out 38 days, 9/14/9 - met 3rd rad. oncl., agreed to start radiation, mapping on 9/21/9, 9/24 - mtg & procedure? with uro/surg, IMRT starts 10/5/9
Post Edited (Purgatory) : 9/25/2009 9:18:46 AM (GMT-6)