First, thanks to all of you for your many good points and thoughts. Geezer - as always - you crack me up, thanks. I think my feelings reflect all responses here (yes I know they are contradictory). So, to make it more real and less conceptual, here is my situation.
When I had my first encounter with the cancer a couple of years ago, I told everyone at work and I am glad I did - they were very supportive and compassionate. Then this year I had a re-occurrence. I am 8 SRT treatments away from completing my salvage radiation course. I feel fine and had felt fine even through the neo-adjuvant chemo, so I don't expect my condition to effect my performance any time soon (other than an occasional visit to the doctor). I told my employer of my re-occurrence and they were understanding. I did not feel the same degree of compassion, but they are treating me as well as others.
I am 48, in good health (except for PCa), a technology executive for one of the large US banks. In the recent crisis, the bank faired less well than others and there are a lot of changes in progress. I am still employed, but due to restructuring, I have to choose between being demoted or taking a package. So, while I am pondering the question of whether or not to take a package (pretty generous - 6 months of salary plus benefits), I get invited for an interview with a large UK financial firm. The job would re-locate me to London. I had a first interview that went very well and getting ready for a second one next week. As you might imagine, there are a lot of questions in my head. Maybe you guys can help me put it in perspective.
1. (The one already discussed at some length) When is it appropriate to tell the new employer?
2. How is it going to effect my medical coverage? What am I looking for as far as coverage in London?
3. Others, that have to do with taxation, pay, cost of living, etc, that I dont think are appropriate for this forum (but if anybody has a good insight into this, I'd love to talk off line).
This forum has always been a source of great support. This time is not an exception. I already got a lot of good thoughts from you guys - as always - thanks a lot!
Father died from poorly differentiated PCa @ 78 - normal PSA and DRE
5 biopsies over 4 years negative while PSA going from 3.8 to 28
Dx Nov 2007, age 46, PSA 29, Gleason 4+4=8
Decided to participate in clinical trial at Duke - 6 rounds of chemo (Taxotere+Avastin)
PSA prior to treatment on 1/8/2008 is 33.90, bounced on 1/31/2008 to 38.20, and down at the end of the treatment (4/24/2008) to 20.60
RRP at Duke (Dr. Moul) on 6/16/2008, Gleason downgraded 4+3=7, T3a N0MX, focal extraprostatic extension, two small positive margins
PSA undetectable for 8 months, then 2/6/2009-0.10, 4/26/2009-0.17, 5/22/2009-0.20, 6/11/2009-0.27
Salvage IMRT + 6 Months ADT: Casodex started 6/12/2009, Lupron 6/22/2009, PSA 6/25/2009-0.1, T=516, 7/23/2009-<0.05, T<10, IMRT to start mid-Aug