still awaiting big test result

New Topic Post Reply Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> ]

compiler
Veteran Member


Date Joined Nov 2009
Total Posts : 7270
   Posted 11/19/2009 2:46 PM (GMT -6)   
 

Well, I heard nothing from Umich, either by telephone or mail. It's been 11 days. I called them today. They took my message and someone will get back to me (RE: test results). They said it might be this afternoon but possibly not until tomorrow. I gave them permission to leave any message on the answering machine. We are supposed to visit our grandkids tomorrow (2 hours away) and then bring our grandson here and enjoy the weekend with him.   If there is no message by the time we are to leave, I might just have my wife go. Otherwise I’d probably have some questions if they don’t leave enough details on the answering machine! Also, if I need a biopsy I'd want to go ahead and try and get it scheduled! This is clearly just the start of how this disease will rule our lives! It already has taken a mental toll on me since the darn PSA increase last August.

I went to the ROF meeting today. (That's short for Retired Old Farts, a large group of retired local school district administrators -- we meet for breakfast once a month. Although I am still working full time at a nearby University, I'm still a member of that group). It seems like EVERYONE there has (or had) prostate problems. I never even brought it up, but that was the main topic!

Getting older sucks (still beats the alternative!)

 Anyway, I'm just venting. No real news.

 

Mel, frustrated!


PSA-- 3/08--2.90;  8/09--4.01; 11/09--4.19 (Free PSA 24%), this after 45 days on cipro!
 
History of BPH/prostatitis.
 
Awaiting results of my PCA-3 test which will determine whether a biopsy is in my immediate future


reachout
Veteran Member


Date Joined May 2009
Total Posts : 739
   Posted 11/19/2009 3:54 PM (GMT -6)   
Mel
I know waiting is hard, but from your numbers, your situation doesn't look that bad. Your PSA increase is close to what mine was, and I didn't have a biopsy for another couple of years. Yes, I had PC, and I should have had it treated a bit earlier, but I'm progressing pretty well and got my first 0.

When I was waiting for my biopsy results, I went on a scheduled trip to see the grandkids and my doctor said he did not call patients with results, he gave results in person whether positive or negative. So I went on the trip, knowing that my biopsy results would be waiting for me in three weeks. That was hard, but after a few days I pretty much put it out of my mind until I returned (they were positive).

My advice, take a deep breath, go see the grandkids, enjoy the ROF breakfasts, and take your time with this. The one good thing about PC, which you may not even have, is that it is usually very slow growing.

Good luck with the results.
Age 64 yrs
DX 5/2009
8 out of 12 cores positive
PSA 5.6
Gleason Score 3+4=7
Stage T2a
Da Vinci Surgery 08/07/2009
Upgrade Gleanson Score 4+3=7
Stage pT2c
Neg Margins and Nodes
Extracapsular extension noted but neg Extraprostatic Extention
Dry immediately
First PSA 11/3/09 <0.1


Purgatory
Elite Member


Date Joined Oct 2008
Total Posts : 25393
   Posted 11/19/2009 4:02 PM (GMT -6)   
11 days is still way too long to wait for a test result. Have they given you any reasonable explanation for the delay?
Age: 57, 56 dx, PSA: 7/07 5.8, 7/08 12.3, 9/08 14.5, 10/08 16.3
3rd Biopsy: 9/08 - 7/7 Positive, 40-90% Cancer, Gleason 4+3
Open RP: 11/08, Rht nerves saved, 4 days in hospt, on catheters for 63 days, 5th one out 1/09
Path Rpt: Gleason 3+4, pT2c, 42g, 20% cancer, 1 pos margin
Incontinence:  1 Month     ED:  Non issue at any point post surgery
Post Surgery  PSA: 2/09 .05,5/09 .1, 6/09 .11. 8/09 .16
Latest: 7/9 met 2 rad. oncl, 7/9 cath #6 - blockage, 8/9 2nd corr surgery, 8/9 cath #7 out  38 days, 9/9 - met 3rd rad. oncl., mapped  9/9, 10/1 - 3rd corr. surgery - SP cath/hard dialation, 10/5 - began IMRT SRT - 39 sess/72 gys cath #8 33 days, 11/2- SP Cath #9 in place


compiler
Veteran Member


Date Joined Nov 2009
Total Posts : 7270
   Posted 11/19/2009 4:58 PM (GMT -6)   

Let me elaborate. I don't think they are intentionally delaying anything. I had the test a week ago Monday. They said it would take about a week. The paperwork said "will call." I was really unclear as to whether they would call me or they expected me to call them.

 

I did make the decision that if they didn't call me, I would wait until Thursday to contact them. That's because this was an important week. It was final exams, grade calculations, paperwork, etc. I needed a clear head, so I waited until today (I am a college prof.).

 

So, I can't blame them, if they expected me to call them.

 

Still no return telephone call, so it will probably be tomorrow. My wife will go visit our grandchildren and bring our grandson here and I'll stay here waiting for the telephone call.

Mel


PSA-- 3/08--2.90;  8/09--4.01; 11/09--4.19 (Free PSA 24%), this after 45 days on cipro!
 
History of BPH/prostatitis.
 
Awaiting results of my PCA-3 test which will determine whether a biopsy is in my immediate future

New Topic Post Reply Printable Version
Forum Information
Currently it is Sunday, September 23, 2018 3:49 PM (GMT -6)
There are a total of 3,005,892 posts in 329,278 threads.
View Active Threads


Who's Online
This forum has 161809 registered members. Please welcome our newest member, DragonM.
286 Guest(s), 6 Registered Member(s) are currently online.  Details
goshawk, HeartsinPain, mattamx, eeagle, Nana1988, Mom2angels